Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock. I tapped the tan and gray wires under the power window motor in the drivers side door. Then proceeded to test the lock before installing as per instructions. The tailgate lock did nothing. Checked the connections , they look good. Reversed the wires, nothing. The passenger door lock works. What could be the problem? Is there a fuse or relay for each door lock? This S****.

Patrick

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the drivers side power door lock have quit working. The tailgate lock has (2) wires that connect to the drivers side door power locks. I half tapped both the lock/unlock wires in the door per instructions and now the door lock doesn't work at all. Removed the tailgate wiring and still nothing. Are there fuses or relays that work in conjuction with the drivers side power door lock. I've looked through the owners manual with no luck. Everything else in the truck sems to be fine. any ideas?

Patrick

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Started over with a positive attitude today and was able to troubleshoot all my problems.

Two problems I found with this kit:
1. The instructions say to remove the drivers side door panel. This includes unplugging power mirrors, windows, DDM, lights, locks , etc.. Then halftap the lock and unlock wires and then test the tailgate lock before completing the install. The drivers side locks do not work unless the switches in the door panel are installed again. Instructions said not neccessary to do.

2.The half tapping hardware that came with the kit is cheap to say the least. Halftaps were for a larger gauge wire and were not making solid contact. I junked their hardware, used better splicing supplies and then everything worked.

It is a good product and well seems to be well built. The instructions (like most) are not very thorough and they got cheap when it came to their wiring hardware.

Thanks,

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts