Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter how hard I try I can't budge the bolts (12mm) to slide my block plate in. I can only fit a 3/8 drive wrench in this area, and I just can't get enough leverage. BTW I've tried pennetrating oil.

You guys have any ideas or tricks?

Thank you for your help.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Ill give you a bump as i will be doing this soon..

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
i heated mine up with a mini blow torch it came right off

·
Registered
391 Posts
I actually used a 1/4" drive ratchet and my hands were bruised when I got done...U may be able to use a 12" piece of pipe as leverage on the ratchet handle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
try one of those swivel head 3/8" ratchets and you should be able to get a breaker bar on it then. Only use a 6 pt socket.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i just used a box wrench on mine and they broke free just fine.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
try one of those swivel head 3/8" ratchets and you should be able to get a breaker bar on it then. Only use a 6 pt socket.
This is correct, make sure to use 6 pt sockets and a flex head ratchet. Mine was no fun, but did it ok with these tools.

·
Registered
686 Posts
do it when its warm...

or just eat ur wheaties...lol , jk i know its no fun

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
never put my blocker plate on but i deleted my EGR cooler yesterday, if you wanna do a lil extra work this will deffently work.

remove the fender liner, come from the bottom and take a long rachet + a breaker bar = a game of you win

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you

Thank you all for the great information. I'll try it again, then let you know how it worked out.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
i could only get a 3 inch long 12mm boxed end wrench and stood on the drivers side tire and put all i had pulling it in one quick motion and they both broke free fairly easy. It was a PITA to get them tight enough so it wouldnt leak but i got it ... good luck man

·
Registered
91 Posts
Give the wrench a hit with a hammer. Just tap them free they suck

·
Registered
183 Posts
bump i was having the exact same problem and gave up efi eliminates the egr anyways but it still opens occasionally so i wouldnt mine throwing the plate in...i just cant seem to break em free...let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
call me dumb but i see a lot of people with this EGR blocker? what is it and why do people block it? im pretty new to the diesel world.? thanks for not laughing, or atleast to my face!!! ha

·
Registered
183 Posts
lol no its cool i was in the same boat not too long ago...idk if you know exactly what an egr (exhaust gas recirculation) does but it is an immision contraption that takes exhaust gases and reroutes it back into the engine, in diesels all the black smoke and soot from the exahust goes right back into your engine which is not good at all....so by by getting a blocker plate it installs and blocks the flow back into the motor

·
Registered
65 Posts
will blocking the egr cause it to smoke more?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts