Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought and brought home a new to me 2008 2500HD w/ Duramax. My 1st Diesel ever. Only 25000 miles on it. It is 100% stock right now except tires and wheels. 275/65/18's. I am looking for better mileage only so what would you long timers with all your great knowledge do to get some more mpg's out of it without breaking the bank. Do you have to do complete exhaust with DPF delete or will a DPF Delete pipe work and leave stock rest of exhaust and a tuner? I have been reading but there are so many diff opinions. I just want tried and true suggestions.
Thanks in advance from one of the newest newbs on here.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
You can do a tuner and DPF removal pipe and see good results. However I would do a full exhaust, as it is cheaper than doing the DPF and Cat removal pipe.

To see the full mileage benefit you would need the full exhaust or cat and dpf removal pipes.

For tuning it all depends on how you use the truck. The Edge Race line and EFI Live are our most popular set-up. However we have other options that may better suit your needs.

If you have any questions let me know.

Tyler
MPF

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tyler
Thanks for the reply. Basically I will pull a 34 ft travel trailer a few times a year camping but mostly the truck will be used around as a second vehicle so I need it to get best fuel mileage possible. Not lookin for power but i understand that thats where most of the better mileage comes from. So what do you suggest for best mileage for me? DPF delete and full exhaust, but I do not want a loud truck and which tuner will work for me but not break the bank? Will Cold air intake help? List it out as to what you have and the order I need to put them on if possible and I will do it as I get $$$ to do so.
Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd sell you my Edge but right now I don't have the extra cash for EFIlive and gauges. Just get the EFIlive and 5" turbo back. I was in your same boat a year ago. I don't have a muffler and there is no interior noise from exhaust and sounds great at all rpm's. Sounds like a jet ready to take off with the turbo whistle too. I think for diesels the Duramax sounds the best and not because I own one either, I just can't stand the sound of a Cummins with exhaust.

·
Registered
897 Posts
EFILive and a full replacement exhaust is your best bet! I saw a big improvement when I lost my DPF and DOC

·
Registered
48 Posts
Efi live with exhaust. I did the exhaust and shut off the dpf junk off and saw a 1.5 mpg improvement around town with no tune. I got my tunes today! :)

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts