Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried replacing my glow plug and the nut that holds the wire broke free but it also broke the threaded stud free. So it all spins in the body. What can I do? My wife is gonna kill me if I have to tear it down to get it out. Can I cut the ring terminal off and slide the 12mm socket over it and pull it out or did the tip fall into the cylinder?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Gonna let it sit over night. Too frustrated to deal with it tonight but I need some ideas. Seems like all the threads I found they never posted back how they fixed it or got it out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
soak the nut with penetrating oil. try grapping the nut with a visegrip and bend it a little that might pinch it enough to get the nut off. If not try breaking the stud of. I just changed one on my truck didn't seem like there's much extra wire there. You can put another wire connection on don't cut the wire to short.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I can break that stud off without hurting anything? If I leave like it is can I drive it?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would try to get it out. If the other end comes off in the cylider while driving it won't be good. Do you have a die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the nut off.

·
Registered
532 Posts
once you get the plug out, then like the other poster indicated, you should be able to get visegrips on the stud & break the nut free... if that doesn't work, you might be able to snip the wire at the connector & crimp new connector on existing wire

which plug are you changing out? i just did my #4... it would've had enough play to redo the connector, not sure about the rest of them

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I don't have a die grinder. Does that rod go all the way through to the heating element of the GP?

·
Registered
945 Posts
can you get on the 12mm nut with a wrench. If you can then start the truck let warm up and unscrew the glowplug itself. that how i did mine and the glowplug came loose with a 1/4 drive wratchet. I don't know why they didn't leave a little more wire. If you can get the glowplug out you might be able krimp it enough to hold the stud to get the nut off. They should have been covered with a rubber boot.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was supposed to be a boot on them?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I tried to get a wrench in there and I couldn't get it on the body. Here's my 2 options since I'm afraid that I'm going to f*ck it up more. Take it to a dealer 5 miles away or take it to a diesel shop 2 1/2 hrs away?

·
Registered
945 Posts
That will cost more than a die grinder.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For some reason everything that can go wrong when I work on my truck, will go wrong. I give up

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Might be able to get a set of pliers on the end and break the stud off....I'd heat the piss out of it first....

or maybe an impact with a few extensions on it on the nut.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well got the stud out. It was prolly 4" long. So my ? Is does that stud sit inside a sleeve or did I break it off and f*ck myself

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Dont think you fucked yourself.....Just unscrew it and see if the tips is still there.

the hole in the head is about 1/8" maybe for the tip of the glowplug to go through.

I think it will come out in one piece once you unscrew it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't seem to get at the body. The steering shaft is right in the way.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
take the bolt out of the steering shaft that comes down from the firewall to get it out of the way. just make sure not to turn the steering wheel while it is apart.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys thanks for all your input but I called a local diesel shop and it goes in tomorrow. Hopefully it comes out in 1 piece tomorrow for them. Note to self- GP SUCK!

·
Registered
945 Posts
if you got a 4'' piece you got the whole thing. rge rest should come out pretty easy. Your not alone with things going wrong when working on something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts