Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2000 Chevy two months ago dually with only 118000 on it from a work associate that he said the dealer said it needed a lift pump on it. What the truck is doing is it will start up and when you are driving the truck will just cut off at any time (idle, running, towing, etc) the truck would act like I turned the key off. When it would turn off it would not shutter like it was out of gas which you would think it it was a lift pump problem. After a couple of weeks of this I took it to the local chevy dealer. They installed a new lift pump for $875 got truck back and it still keep cutting off when ever it wanted to. Took truck back to dealer who said that I needed a Throttle Position Sensor which they installed for $190 got truck back and it still keep cutting off while running whenever it wants too. Took truck back to dealer who now says that I need a new injector pump. Dealer installed new injector pump for $3478 got truck back and it still keep cutting off while running when ever it wants to. Took truck back to dealer who then said that the truck now needs new injectors (they said that it needs all eight injectors) the dealer installed all new injectors and new fuel filter for the price of $1846. Guess what truck still cuts off while running whenever it wants too. Dealer towed truck back to shop where they installed another new Throttle Position Sensor (dealer said the other one must of have been bad) truck still cuts off. I explained that it seems to me that when I would hit a bump in the road is when it seems that's when the truck would cut off. I asked the dealer is there anything in the engine compartment that could be loose to cause the motor to just shut off while running. I was told no the only thing electrical that would make the engine cut off would be the iginition switch. Please help I am now broke. What direction can I go now. I have no codes or check engine light that has ever come on to hook a code reader to help diagnose the engine problem. It is a nice great running truck when running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Live in small town only chevy dealership within 75 miles. I do have a heavy truck diesel repair shop Major chain. But they only work on tractor tailer, ambulances, heavy trucks, rv's they said that they could work on the truck but it would be 8-10 weeks before they could even look at it at a cost of $155 a hour. Help

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Sounds like an ignition switch to me, but that is just a guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I bought my Burb 6.5.
The old owner said if that happened to my new vehicle look at the fuel pump relay.
He said that it happens sometimes and I have a spare and the wrench to change it.

If this fixes it or in fact if anything fixes it. Go to the dealer and get your $$$ back.

Then you can share with us.!

·
Coffee addict
1,831 Posts
The stealership is changing parts at your expense, without ever really troubleshooting the problem.

·
Registered
291 Posts
you need a new fuel pump driver module. i cant count how many i changed on these 6.5's the factory location is under/on the side of the intake. they absorb a ton of heat and trashed the module. they make a relocation kit to move it to the firewall.

napa part number
relocation harness , part# NOE7306750
fuel pump driver module part# NOE2002966

i dont have prices but you can easily look them up online or call your local napa parts store.

i cant gaurantee this is your problem but sight unseen id place my money there.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
If you want more help-- visit our sister site-- Diesel Place. Lots of early diesels there. here, mnot so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I bought my Burb 6.5.
The old owner said if that happened to my new vehicle look at the fuel pump relay.
He said that it happens sometimes and I have a spare and the wrench to change it.

If this fixes it or in fact if anything fixes it. Go to the dealer and get your $$$ back.

Then you can share with us.!
I will install a new fuel pump relay this week. You don't have any ideal about where it is located on the truck do you? (2000 6.5) I do general maintenance work and repairs on my gas vehicles. I didn't really wanted to work on my first diesel because it seemed so different than a gas motor. But since all of this has happened I am going to have to start doing my own minor repair work to this truck. Spent a lot of money so far (I have a wife you know, she's kinda of pissed off about the amount of money spent so far on rip off repairs.

I will be attempting to get some of my money back on all of these unnecessary repairs. But I have already been told by the Service Manager even thou the repairs that they did, did not fix the problem that I brought the truck in for, the truck still needed all of those parts and repairs anyway. My reply to this was if my truck needed all of those parts and repairs how was the truck even running at all. Will keep you informed about the progress. I see there is another possible solution to my problem on this forum. Again thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you need a new fuel pump driver module. i cant count how many i changed on these 6.5's the factory location is under/on the side of the intake. they absorb a ton of heat and trashed the module. they make a relocation kit to move it to the firewall.

napa part number
relocation harness , part# NOE7306750
fuel pump driver module part# NOE2002966

i dont have prices but you can easily look them up online or call your local napa parts store.

i cant gaurantee this is your problem but sight unseen id place my money there.
Will give it a shot thanks for the information. Will get back to you after repair.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Man I feel for ya. It sure sounds like a PMD problem. I can tell you it happens to all 6.5 trucks that have those drivers mounted on the inj. pump. It is a terrible design.

Mount a brand new PMD in the front bumper with an aluminium heat sink and all should be better. Search PMDcable.com.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First, look under the front bumper and see if the PMD or isolator is installed.
The part might look something like this.
The lead runs to the injector pump.
The fuel pump relay is located about 8-10 inches past the filter on the right side of the rear of the motor.
I can take pic in the AM.
Looks like a temp sending unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
I might start to work on my own truck for the amount of money u spent.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i dont know where you are located...US or canada but that line of crap the service manager told you is complete crap pertaining to the "though the parts replaced did not fix your problem the truck needed them anyway" that is complete BULL. hes trying to hide the fact that they dont know what they are doing and you being a new diesel owner they found it easy to pull your shirt over your head and beat you up. i would seriously hire a laywer and get the money you spent back and then some. they robbed you blind. hate to say it.

if i did that to a customer i wouldnt be able to sleep at night...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Tricky, a good lawyer is needed.
I fix things,(cars,boats etc.) around my neighborhood.
If I can't figure it out there aint no charge.
You should get all your $ back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2000 Chevy two months ago dually with only 118000 on it from a work associate that he said the dealer said it needed a lift pump on it. What the truck is doing is it will start up and when you are driving the truck will just cut off at any time (idle, running, towing, etc) the truck would act like I turned the key off. When it would turn off it would not shutter like it was out of gas which you would think it it was a lift pump problem. After a couple of weeks of this I took it to the local chevy dealer. They installed a new lift pump for $875 got truck back and it still keep cutting off when ever it wanted to. Took truck back to dealer who said that I needed a Throttle Position Sensor which they installed for $190 got truck back and it still keep cutting off while running whenever it wants too. Took truck back to dealer who now says that I need a new injector pump. Dealer installed new injector pump for $3478 got truck back and it still keep cutting off while running when ever it wants to. Took truck back to dealer who then said that the truck now needs new injectors (they said that it needs all eight injectors) the dealer installed all new injectors and new fuel filter for the price of $1846. Guess what truck still cuts off while running whenever it wants too. Dealer towed truck back to shop where they installed another new Throttle Position Sensor (dealer said the other one must of have been bad) truck still cuts off. I explained that it seems to me that when I would hit a bump in the road is when it seems that's when the truck would cut off. I asked the dealer is there anything in the engine compartment that could be loose to cause the motor to just shut off while running. I was told no the only thing electrical that would make the engine cut off would be the iginition switch. Please help I am now broke. What direction can I go now. I have no codes or check engine light that has ever come on to hook a code reader to help diagnose the engine problem. It is a nice great running truck when running.
Me too... I have a Sierra 2500 SE 6.5L deisel...Year 2000. Same problem! Engine cuts out and the dealer just keeps replacing parts... (General Truck in Methuen, MA). Said it was the turbo... Said it was a vacuum leak...Said it was the feul pump... Hope they are right this time. Over $5000 on the bill! They must have seen me coming... Another broke guy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts