Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How good is the 2nd Generation Dodge quality. I know they have a good engine, but what about the rest of the truck. I am considering the ford or the dodge. They way a hear the ford has a nice engine and an exelent suspension. Also a kick *** interitor. Dodge has an absolutely awesome engine, sh*tty transmission, good interior and good suspension. Chevy is a decent engine, good tranny, fair suspension, NICE interior. So how does to dodge compare to the ford or Chev? What should I buy? What will last longest? What gets the best MPG? What is the most durable? Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i like my cummins. notice i said "my cummins" and not "my dodge". i'm not a dodge fan by any stretch. the trannys aren't as terrible as you think though. with a good torque converter and valve body they can handle some decent horsepower. i do think the cummins is the best engine out there but the duramax is a very, very close second and it's gaining everyday. the one thing i can tell you is the cummins is a ton easier to work on than the duramax. i feel gm's vehicle quality as a whole is the best outta the three. other than my truck being free, the only reasons i would pass up a duramax are their complexity and the ifs. if they'd put a straight six in on top of a straight axle i'd think real hard about selling my dodge the day they hit showroom floors. for fords, i just don't like the interior quality on them either. the 7.3l is a decent motor but to my knowledge it doesn't pull or race anything like the other 2. the 6.0 had some real headaches but supposedly the last model year got them worked out.

if i had my way i'd stuff a cummins and an allison under a super duty body and have gm do the interior and paint.

just my $.02.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:blowup 12 views and nobody will even give me a little crap for what i said??? :cookoo :blowup

c'mon guys.......:rof

I'm i the process of buying a newer diesel right now... i've narrowed it down to either a 2003 or up Cummins or a 2001 up Duramax...

I like the Cummins engine, and I've owned dodge before and like their interiors. but i've heard horror stories about their tranny's and i do a lot of hauling/towing...

I love the Dura for the engine strength and Tranny (cant beat an Allison) and I also love the interior and design and everything of the chevy. The only thing that concerns me is the injectors... but i guess ill deal with it and if they go bad i can get them replaced... I also like that the chevy has more room in the back seat than a dodge, i travel a lot and take people with me often

Both trucks get good MPG (seems to be 15-20 for either truck depending on a lot of things)

·
Registered
96 Posts
i don't think the injectors are a big concern any more. i think from 2003 and up you won't have much to worry about. the stealership i work for sells a ton of d-max's and we rarely see ANY engine related problems. even on the 01's and 02's that started the injector scare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't think the injectors are a big concern any more. i think from 2003 and up you won't have much to worry about. the stealership i work for sells a ton of d-max's and we rarely see ANY engine related problems. even on the 01's and 02's that started the injector scare.
what do you see with the suspension.

·
Registered
96 Posts
what do you see with the suspension.
problem wise at work?? not too much. broken torsion bars on plow trucks every so often and front axle seal leaks. same issues they've always had. i've heard stories from some pullers about the lower arms twisting. the arms kinda naturally twist to the rear in their bushings as it is. apparently when you add the right amount of horses and traction they like to fold up. that's hearsay as far as i'm concerned because i've never seen it happen. or any pics to back it up.

personally, i just prefer live axles. easier to modify, cheaper to repair, seem to handle weight loads better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Most of the injector problems have been resolved. Chevys main IFS problems are the tierods which can be fixed with tierod sleeves. The dodge auto trannys are decent if you build them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:blowup 12 views and nobody will even give me a little crap for what i said???

c'mon guys.......:rof
That is funny, almost exactly what I told my wife when we dumped the SD with major problems at 12K miles. I would give anything to see a combo like that.:rof

1 - 9 of 9 Posts