Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having a rough time finding the right exhaust for my truck. I want a downpipe back exhaust, 5" system with a 6" tip, delete everything but I do still want a muffler. It has to be a single side exit exhaust. Stainless is a must. I really want an MBRP system but I can't seem to find what I want. I've also been looking at AFE systems. By the way, my truck is a 2011 LML ccsb 2500 HD. Can I buy a full system like I want or do I have to buy delete pipes and such?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I'm not sure if MBRP makes deleted exhaust kits anymore. But Flo-Pro makes what you want minus the tip you would have to order for around $500 I think. Are you planning on running a tuner of some sort?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Sorry, a little off on price. Aluminum is 510. SS is 630 at Alligator.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Crap, sorry I was on PPEI website when I was typing and those prices were from them. I think Alligator might be just a little lower.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries on the exact price, I planned on paying up to 700 or so if I have to. I need to check into Flo Pro. I currently have an EDGE Evolution CTS to go on it but I'm thinking about buying custom tuning, not sure yet. I don't want cheap exhaust, that's for sure. I want it to look and sound great and help me out performance wise.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
No worries on the exact price, I planned on paying up to 700 or so if I have to. I need to check into Flo Pro. I currently have an EDGE Evolution CTS to go on it but I'm thinking about buying custom tuning, not sure yet. I don't want cheap exhaust, that's for sure. I want it to look and sound great and help me out performance wise.
You need tuning capable of emission deleting. That Edge tuner that you got, isnt.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
You need tuning capable of emission deleting. That Edge tuner that you got, isnt.
Like mentioned you need efi live to run the deleted set up. Idaho Rob makes some good tunes with emissions intact.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts

A cheap exhaust isn't necessarily bad, they all look the same (may exit at different angles), sound the same (may differ on mufflers), and give the same "performance". Is there a reason you want stainless? It's going to rust like crazy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've never had a stainless system on any of my diesels. Aluminzed and never any issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll look into getting aluminized I just don't want to have to replace it frequently because it rots out.

If an exhaust is half the price of another, you can't tell me it's the same quality, that's just BS.

And can I buy a filter back system then buy just a delete pipe when I delete the DPF down the road?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The typical stainless exhaust is 409 stainless. This is not a terribly high grade of stainless and will rust out eventually. Surface rust appears almost immediately which is what upsets most folks. Aluminized mild steel rots out much more quickly than 409 but not initially. The thin coat of aluminum keeps surface rust at bay for a couple years and will keep its rust free appearance better than 409 stainless during this initial period. Once the rust gets past the aluminizing, however, its all over for the mild steel pipe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A cheap exhaust isn't necessarily bad, they all look the same (may exit at different angles), sound the same (may differ on mufflers), and give the same "performance". Is there a reason you want stainless? It's going to rust like crazy.
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason the stainless rusts on a diesel? Lots of turbo street cars down here run stainless headers and 4 inch or so exhaust pipe out the bottom of the car. And it never rusts.

Maybe the quality of the stainless? Mass produced stuff over actual piping built for turbo race cars? I think most of the guys here use either 304 or 321 stainless.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Silverline makes a nice exhaust system, it fit really well too. I was able to retain all of the factory hangers with no problems at all. I've had the 409 stainless on my truck for almost two years and it still looks great. If I recall correctly it cost me around 550 for a 4" with muffler.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry about that, it looks like silverline doesn't make an exhaust for your year truck.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
And can I buy a filter back system then buy just a delete pipe when I delete the DPF down the road?
A DPF back exhaust is a total waste of money. Stay as is, until you have the money to spend on the emission delete tuning, & you DPF delete pipe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 2500HD LML, the only things I have done is added a Edge CTS and resonator delete, have bought a S&B air intake have not install yet, do to the warranty is still being in place. Truck has 93 k on it, and the warranty will be running out soon. In the past 6 months I have had to take it to the shop for the DEF system each time it has be to reprogram CPU, one time to replace the injector for the DEF, one time for the sensor, and it has left me stranded on my way home from work after being gone from the house for three weeks and wanting to get home, and the only problem with it was the CPU needed to be reprogramed.
Need less to say it pissed my right off when they told me that crap.
What i am looking for is to do the full DEF delete, looking for some guidance on what I need and will the Edge 85200 work for the delete.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just can't seem to pay over 500 dollars for a 4" or 5" DP back system. 500.00 dollars for SS pipe with some hangers, no tip and no muffler come on. I went Aluminized on my last system and I live in Ohio, we don't get masses of snow but they prep the roads and salt the crap out of them when we do and my last truck the system looked fine after a few years. My stock muffler broke at the flange of my current truck, not sure if the stock stuff is SS or Aluminized but after 8 years it failed. Gonna get a new one soon was looking at Magnoflow 5" for 315.00 then probably paint it with some high temp black paint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts