Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 C.C. 4x4, LBZ
Jumped in my truck this morning to head for work and CLICK! Starter died. No codes. The starter had been acting up a little lately but I haven't had time to do anything about it. I'm stuck between parked cars. I can replace the starter, but can I replace it without taking half the exhaust apart like the manual states? Any advice would be greatly helpful as I've got to get it done today and I'm trapped!
Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:
Local towing service can drag the carcass out from the space, and I'm going to have my mechanic take care of it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good, did you try to jump it. Not saying your starter is not bad, but check batteries first.
Batteries are fine; showing good static voltage by the panel gauge and my multimeter. I can't load-test them but I'll do that when I get my truck back. They're really good AGM type batteries and I bought them recently.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
If starter brushes are worn, sometimes you can tap the starter and get the brushes to make contact so you can drive it to a shop. I've done this more than a few times before I finally broke down and replaced the starter. IIRC, there's a way to R&R starter without removing the exhaust

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
2006 C.C. 4x4, LBZ
Jumped in my truck this morning to head for work and CLICK! Starter died. No codes. The starter had been acting up a little lately but I haven't had time to do anything about it. I'm stuck between parked cars. I can replace the starter, but can I replace it without taking half the exhaust apart like the manual states? Any advice would be greatly helpful as I've got to get it done today and I'm trapped!
Thanks.
When my batteries died it did the same thing, just click, click. Static voltage isnt really a good indicator. You NEED to load test them both. Id do that before I spent money on a new starter.

What do you mean the starter has been "acting up"

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean the starter has been "acting up"
The Bendix drive wasn't fully extending the drive gear out to the flexplate and was just touching the edge of it. Monday's little episode was the starter itself giving up. The shaft bearings seized. I checked the batteries and they're load testing fine. I've also got a brand new alternator that I installed in March, so I'm good to go with the charging system.
Thanks everybody for checking in! Your observations and advice is much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts