Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im new at this whole thing so if these are dumb questions I apoligize. I just bought an 07 2500 duramax crew cab 4x4 and i had a few questions about it. First of all, warming up your car, now i live in california so its not to cold here in the morning, never below 40 or so, should i let the car warm up at all or just start it and drive, i know your supposed to take it easy the first couple of miles but what else do i need to know. Also when i shut it off i have heard to let it idle for about 30 seconds to cool down the turbo but then i hear idling is bad???also does 12mpg sound normal as an average with half being highway and other half just showing off around town? One more question, i want to get an exhaust but ive heard that taking the cat off voids warranty so i was just going to do cat back, does it still sound good and add some more power, what do you think? and does anyone else feel a vibration in the brake pedal from the engine when idling??? thanks for the input!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Let it run a minute or so before you take off

let it cool a minute or so when you turn it off

12mpg is lower than the average but the same as mine. plus its not broke in yet

exhaust sounds good straight pipes, cat voids the warrenty if you dont reinstall it before dealer trips, and i think the power gains are minimal when the kitty is off. (dont worry most of us are catless)

o yeah, welcome to the site

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
when i bought my 06 lbz 2500HD that was the first thing to go was the kitty and muffler and i had it updated since then witch is classed as warranty work but i never had any problems with them.on the newer diesels when you start them it is good to let it iddle for a few minutes but if you are in a hurry i wouldn't get to excited if it doesn't iddle any,unless it is below 32 degrees.just my thoughts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i appreciate it! What do you guys recommend for a chip? I dont want something super expensive(1000 bucks or so) just a good computer that will help my mileage when i need it and give me more power when i need it? I heard magnaflow is a good muffler is this true, does it sound good on our engine, ive heard it on my brother in laws 05 ford powerstroke and it sounds mean once he steps on it, but his truck is also way louder, it sounds like a beast..kind of wish mine was louder sometimes, its super quiet, they said it will get louder once it break in though...i cant wait! thanks guys

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the thing with chips everyone has a story,mine is i tried the bullydog triple dog and i loved the extra power but i didn't gain fuel economy so i switch to ppe and i gained 3 miles a gallon with better hp results and i also put a 5"magnaflow turbo back exhaust on.highest setting on the programmer is 225hp.if your looking to save money diablo is a really good choice.here is the web site to the programmer that i have. http://www.pacificp.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_35_31 ps if you want louder then try the 5" exhaust it screams under throttle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts