Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004.5 duramax with the lly. I just bought the truck with 130,000 on it it runs awsome but I have a knocking or clicking noise under half throttle accelerating form 55 mph. It is really bothering me and don't know wat to do if u really step in to it when the turbo spools up it goes way or if u let out of it. It doesn't have any noise at idle it runs about 40-50lbs of oil pressure goin down the road. The left rear sounds like were the noise is coming from. The truck runs great but I'm really second queasily my self for buy it now. It just started doing it to day after changing oil to rotella and help would be great thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
This may sound dumb but is it a loud (hard) knock,or just a light ping(knock). Are you using any fuel additive??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's more like a ping and after I noticed it I started using diesel clean but have only drove it 25 or so miles since then

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck has a cold air straight pipe and fass fuel pump and not for sure way kind of programer but geting it reflashed Friday I don't know if this will help or not but worth a shot

·
Registered
175 Posts
Under certain conditions mine will have a slight ping to it also. So far I havent been to conserned with it. I havent paid attention if its still there after I did an EGR block. I do know on gas engines EGR will give you a ping noise at certain rpm range.Again fwiw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for u input I'm new to duramax always was a cunning guy untill now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the noise is still there I was woundering If this could b the typewritter noise I keep hearing about? It seems to b noticeable from 1300rpms untill turbo spools and can't hear noise any more. Would a injector cleaning help? Or is this a normal noise for a dmax

·
Registered
29 Posts
My motor was noisey had one injector with high balance rate,replaced that one bad injector it made less noise. I still thought that it made to much noise switched additive from power service to howes meaner kleaner much more better now, good stuff...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't remember when I read this, but the dealership confirmed that the duramax has a ping/knock that is not common with the other diesels out there. The small ping (if I remember right) has something to do with back pressure oil flow. It doesn't mean that this is your issue but this (Pinging) is norma

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
These trucks can make all different kinds of clicking pining noises I would not worry about it. Drive it put some hard miles on it and enjoy it. Mine makes the same noise and It is running great

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy I switched additives and it sound alot better I'm just goin to hope for the best it's either going to go or blow hopefully the duramax treats me better than cummins

1 - 11 of 11 Posts