Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Only transportation! 06 GMC XCab LBZ Pulled boat to lake yesterday no problems. Going shopping today, started truck, no problems, left neighborhood fine, low on fuel (no light yet) gonna stop. Leaving second stoplight and no power (low power) surging and hopping. Black smoke. After refueling engine light on and I realize I no longer hear turbo. Certain I heard it when I left the house. I begging some one to tell me I don't need one.
Please help! Jeff

·
Banned
477 Posts
Check all the intercooler boots first and make sure they are all tight and connected. Check your Airfilter and see if its clogged.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UDPMax thx will check

UDPMax, thx will check boots. Further info, have removed air cleaner duct work and CAN spin turbo blade. Friend says this is a good thing. Air filter was new in April and doesn't look bad (nothing like the old one). MAF codes 101 and 102 show on OBD meter. Going to check boots now. Jeff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Donaldson stock type. Checked intercooler boots assuming I know what I'm looking at and for, they appear to be attached and not slipping. There is a dry oily film built up on the intake side. Thx, Jeff

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
MAF Sensor needs to be cleaned or not enough air flow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CHEVaholic thx, will search site for info on cleaning MAF. Have plenty of air filters, can replace but doesn't appear bad. Does any of this explain why turbo appears to not be spooling when running. Friend says there are safety features that may open waste gate to prevent other problems. As I said earlier I CAN spin with finger. Thanks to everyone who are helping me. My first Diesel (purchased last November w/ 80K on it). Learning.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
clean your mass air flow sensor with was air flow cleaner DO NOT use brake cleen or electronic cleaner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx, guys. Called parts store they have it. Waiting for wife to return w/car. Will I need to clear codes or will it adjust itself upon start up. Don't really want to clear codes if have to tow to dealer for service. Jeff

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
with you not hearing the turbo it might be something to do with the vains in the turbo. i no on mine i had this problem i work at a dealership so i put it on a tech 2 and noticed my vane positioning sensor was bad. mine was throwing different codes though

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced air filter (new Donlaldson), cleaned MAF w/cleaner. No change. Checked codes again. No new ones. Still P0101 and P0102. Seems to be no activity with turbo charger. Again I can spin the input blades with finger. drzsz, you mentioned vain positioning sensor. Any way to point a finger at this with out the Tech 2?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Bump for ya, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Could be the vain sensor for sure. Check all your fuses.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge-- that helps diagnose the problem.

I doubt you have a bad turbo, if it is moving. Might have a vane position sensor problem, but that will usually throw a code.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I got a used vane position sensor if that ends up being the problem

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, guys for the input. I'm bed bound now and driving the wifes car to work tomorrow. Will look into the vane sensor. Don't realy know how I'll tell, but it is kind of my train of thought right now. Engine starts and runs like a clock. But I know it sounds different because the turbo isn't whirring. Tap the accelerator pedal and hesitation and smoke. If it wasn't so expensive I'd put a sensor in it with out thinking. Thanks again for all your help to a new guy! Jeff

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Check the plastic elbow on the passenger side coming off of the intercooler. Sometimes they can come loose but not be the entire way off.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts