Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bro was driving to work in his 03 duramax 3500 and all the sudden there was a big klunk and the steering wheel shook so he pulled over put it in park and let it sit for a min. then he tried to put it in drive and it made a nasty grinding sound and it sound like it is coming from the rear end. i checked all the fluid and they are all good. and the service brake system thing comes up on the dash. any ideas would be awesome please let me know Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
What has he checked so far?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have not messed with it yet we got it towed back to our shop and we had to get back to the job site. and we fig we would mess wit it tmr cuz i really dont know where to start lookin to be honest

·
Registered
378 Posts
check the parking brake system, they fall apart sometimes.. mine did on my old Ford anyway.

·
Registered
915 Posts
take your ppe and see if there is any codes

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would that make it make a bad grinding sound when u tried puting it in drive

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
might sound a little far fetched but it sounds like a ford that I had to work on one time. A carrier bearing let go so bad in the rearend that the pinion didn't even mesh with the ringgear anymore and made a nasty nasty sound. When you put it in park does it want to roll?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
might sound a little far fetched but it sounds like a ford that I had to work on one time. A carrier bearing let go so bad in the rearend that the pinion didn't even mesh with the ringgear anymore and made a nasty nasty sound. When you put it in park does it want to roll?
Ya you can push it when its in park.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Something definitely broke... I would try to move the pinion at the rear axle and see if there is any excessive play there first and then maybe pull the rearend cover. If not, move up the driveshaft and see what broke.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Sounds like the parking brake pads fell apart. Take the rear rotors off and see if the parking brake failed. Since you say the fluids are good, I would suspect you did check the rear fluids as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since it will roll while in park, it definately has a driveline issue, and not a brake issue. Move the truck while in park, if the driveshaft turns, you have a transmission or transfer case problem. If not, pull the cover off the rear end, and the problem might just fall to the ground in pieces and identify itself, unless you snapped an axle, which is usually an easy fix. Good luck, hope for the axle!!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya i have a buddy of mine workin on it cuz im just to busy at work and he took the cover off and he said parts just started falling out. and he went and got a price on parts and the dealer ship said it would be 1800 bucks so we are going to shop around and see if we can find some where cheaper

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy another rear axle! Maybe $500. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ya, find a good used unit, bolt it in, and off you go again....

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Its fun being right. hehehe:D

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
its not on my truck its my brothers work truck. its bone stock
you can still check codes on anytruck with it. even if its locked to your truck

·
Registered
542 Posts
ya i have a buddy of mine workin on it cuz im just to busy at work and he took the cover off and he said parts just started falling out. and he went and got a price on parts and the dealer ship said it would be 1800 bucks so we are going to shop around and see if we can find some where cheaper
You might be able to find one at a wrecking yard complete for less than the price of the parts.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I'm gonna guess the rear seals have been leaking slowly like mine were. Luckily I checked the fluid and it was way low. I replaced the seals and good as new... Sorry to hear about the damage, hope you find a good deal out there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts