Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for my first post being a callout for help, but I want to lean on the collective expertise here before I pull the trigger on a 2012 GMC 3500 DRW that I'm looking at. It's worth noting that I'm in Alaska, and the truck is in Arkansas, and I'm buying sight unseen. :surprise:

Here's all the pictures I have of the truck. And while I know there's only so much that you can see from a picture, it would really help me if you guys could help look for any problems... I'm new to the Duramax world (last diesels were a 6.5GM and a 12v Cummins a long time ago) and I could really use your input here. I can get them to take any additional pics, just let me know of what.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the first pic, is that the oil pan above that cross member? And does it look bent to you guys?

Also in the first pic, next to the black pan and the lines, there's what looks to be a bushing of some sort... What is that? And does it look worn to y'all?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Black pan is oil pan, the one that says allison is the transmission pan. Mines dented in the same spot, it's normal.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
The very first pic I see is the transmission oil pan. There is a dent...but it is supposed to be there. I'm not sure what bushings you are asking about....can you point a arrow to where your referring to?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Ok..I reread your question...I noticed you said above the cross member my second time reading...lol
Yes that is the oil pan, there does seem to be a bend but I think it looks right,like it's formed for said crossmember.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Also I think the oil pan is "dented" there too, which is normal also. Not sure cause I can't see the oil pan the greatest in that picture

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Ok..I reread your question...I noticed you said above the cross member my second time reading...lol
Yes that is the oil pan, there does seem to be a bend but I think it looks right,like it's formed for said crossmember.

Dude I did the same exact shit you did :rofl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks for the info so far guys. I'm not good with arrows and stuff... But if you look at the oil pan, then look "above" it in the pic you'll see the two lines (assume they're supply and return trans cooling lines) and the "bushing" I'm talking about is right there, the body of whatever that arm is, is slightly rusted and has a bolt going through... Maybe a body mount?

·
Registered
672 Posts
37.5 doesn't seem like good enough of a deal to me to buy a truck without test driving it.
Are their no trucks in Alaska for sale?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
37.5 doesn't seem like good enough of a deal to me to buy a truck without test driving it.
Are their no trucks in Alaska for sale?
There are plenty up here for sale, at $5k above NADA... Plus if I buy one here, I'll have to feed it all the way to the lower 48. I'm transferring to the northeast this summer, and we'll be stopping by MS to visit my wife's family for a while en route.

I must be out of touch... $37.5k seemed like a screaming deal to me. With NADA having it in the high/mid-40's... Am I wrong here? Seems like the best deals I can find on them are low/mid-40's?

·
Registered
226 Posts
That seems like a great deal to me. Did you run a CARFAX on it yet?

I guess the thing I would say about any long distance transaction is that it is a used vehicle...I would be prepared at the very minimum to get all the fluids changed when you get it. I am sure it may also need some other items too, brakes, might have a leak, etc. It's really hard to go through all of this over such a long distance.

Having said that, if the CARFAX looks good, I say go for it. Any reason for the 3500 duallie?

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That seems like a great deal to me. Did you run a CARFAX on it yet?

I guess the thing I would say about any long distance transaction is that it is a used vehicle...I would be prepared at the very minimum to get all the fluids changed when you get it. I am sure it may also need some other items too, brakes, might have a leak, etc. It's really hard to go through all of this over such a long distance.

Having said that, if the CARFAX looks good, I say go for it. Any reason for the 3500 duallie?

Chris
I did run a CarFax on it, service records look good, was involved in 2 minor accidents with minimal damage reported. Talked to the shop that did the repairs and it was just rear bumper and park sensor replacements both times. Talked to the other dealership service managers that did the routine maintenance on it. Gave them the VIN and they pulled service records. No issues or technician notes other than routine maintenance (oil/air/fuel filters, dpf cleaning, CO2 & NOX sensors, etc).

I'm trying to negotiate a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty to be included in the purchase price. If they do that, then I'll probably bite on it.

I just ordered a 8.5x28ft Diamond Cargo enclosed trailer for my wife's business. Tandem 7k axles, 7ft6in interior height. Will haul it 4-5 times per month for her shows and sales and such. Probably don't need a dually to haul it, but I figure if I buy enough truck now, I won't ever need more truck if/when we ever buy a 5er.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Also, it has 357 regen cycles to date. Is that high/low/normal?
For those miles yeah. That's a regen every 250 miles. Its either towed a lot or city driven. My guess is towed heavy and often by the fifth wheel rails in the bed

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Carfax report (linked in the link provided) shows pretty much all the fluids were changed at 80,677. Reading between the lines it looks there were some issues around that time. At 80.6k they ECM and found it necessary to do this again at 81.5k and 83k for "Driveability/Performance" checks. The truck spent its life in Texas up to 85.8k and somehow wound up in Arkansas at 87k. I suppose a Texan may have moved to AR and then traded it in though.

It looks clean enough and it's a fair deal but I'd be hesitant to buy it without a test drive or three.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Driveability/Performance issues may be DEF/emissions related issues. If there is a problem with a component in the DEF system the REDUCED SPEED XX MILES will come on. Granted thats purely a guess on my part.

This powertrain is really solid (I guess part of the reason why its a $8k option new), no check engine light on in any of the pictures of the gauges, right?

Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
It would be nice if you could find a member on here that lives near there and could go check it out in person for you. I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle sight unseen, not over $500 anyways.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Nice looking truck, I didn't see any show stoppers. BTW I bought mine sight unseen out of Houston, I live in AZ. My deal worked out well and I am happy with the truck.
I would ask the dealer to shot a video of all the gauges while the truck is driving and parked idling, so you check Oil pressure temps and look for warning lights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts