Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D3777E21-2C8B-4F56-8B95-DBA7FED01237.jpeg

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas what would cause this?! I just had tunes installed two days ago no warning started normal right up till it didn’t. New Trans was installed about two months ago; it was installed and removed three times, due to new trans not being good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
unless you removed or loosen the bolt on the other side, then it being loose or gone caused it, the starter had to be removed to get the trans out.

Reactions: cfell

·
Registered
99 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. Was on the road and the starter went out on me and have to have some shop replace it. They didn't put the correct sized bolts in (I guess the lost the original bolts) and a few months later the starter quit on me. The top ear was broke just like yours because the bottom bolt was not there.

I thought they had over torque the top bolt, but after finding the bottom bolt missing and figuring out the put the wrong sized bolts in, they never came close to seating the bottom bolt. Ended up getting a free starter from the shop that did it and installed it myself. One of the many reasons I much prefer to do my own work on our vehicles, but when you are on the road about 1000 miles from home you really don't have any choice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ding ding ding !! AJbert wins ! That was exactly what it turned out to be the lower bolt was never re-installed !! The trans had to be pulled multiple times, the shop had to remove and replace my transmission FOUR times!! Before a properly functioning trans was received. By the time all was said and done the install shop had grown to hate my truck I’m sure! Who knows what else suffered damage from being removed so many times. Trans cooler lines, t case, etc. I have NOTHING bad to say about the install shop, I will let them know what happened; but they did everything they could and spent countless hours dealing with multiple problems on multiple transmissions including trouble shooting with builder over the phone checking wiring harness etc , but in the end it kept requiring them to remove and ship the transmission back. Then I had to wait for builder to receive, trouble shoot and send it back, or on the third one to build one and reship. It’s been crazy, took four months! Lost lots of business as it is my only vehicle and my work truck, I’m a small contractor no truck no work! Hopefully Trans will never be a problem again God knows it cost me enough! Builder DID cover all the reinstalls required and shipping the units back and forth. I still paid for initial remove and install, and original shipping, plus the four full transmission fluid fills and a couple incidentals. And now the busted starter. I did ask for some type of refund or credit to offset at least some of my lost work, time, or just the hassle but never received any answer, so...
I also replaced the t case with a unit from Kodiac Trucks Llc.; after the adapter plate cracked and I found t case had a prior pump rib issue that had been fixed with some silicone! They do some very unique upgrades to out t-cases including using aluminum back half eliminating need for pump rub kit and machining main shaft to accept bearings so in 2 wheel drive mode shaft spins with almost no resistance! I figured since tranny had to come out to do adapter plate, I might as well have a built tranny installed at same time so I’d only be removing tranny once. I never dreamed it could turn into the nightmare it did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts