Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK today I walked out to my truck and seen a puddle of green sure enough coming from the weep hole how much time do I have? Dealer ship wants 1200+ to install one and im 16 hours from home. I'm in Texas city for work is there anyone close that has a garage that can help me?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ouch! Can ya just keep an eye on the level untill you get home?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
When mine went bad I drove it for a few months. Sometimes it wouldnt leak at all, but the stress of always watching for the low coolant warning wasn't worth the wait. Get it done ASAP.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
you will be ok till you get home. the instal is not that bad. i changed my own on my old lb7. took about 4 hours from start to finish thats including a few breaks and a quick bite.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I can do it and have the tools but that's in ky lol thanks for the help guys I'll just keep a eye on it till I get home I'll add that to the fix list. But anything I need to keep my ears open for?

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I let mine leak for a couple weeks before replacing it and it never started leaking bad. Maybe a gallon over 2-3 weeks, just keep an eye on it. Definitely not worth paying the stealership $1,200

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I agree they told me that price and I spit my sweet tea all over there lil waiting room and as I walked out I said I'll blow it up and burn it before I pay that price but thanks for ur input guys. But just wondering who's close to me I don't start work till Monday so I'm kinda bored here lol

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Green? Duramax's take Dexcool which is red/orange. Might want to completely drain the system and change the thermostats, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
818 Posts
^^ thats what I was thinking,

how bad is it leaking? I was on a trip when mine started to leak drove it another 5 hrs home then waited a week or so to change it.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Green? Duramax's take Dexcool which is red/orange. Might want to completely drain the system and change the thermostats, too. Good luck.
Maybe a former owner was smart and got that crap out of there ASAP. They dont call it "DeathCool" for nothing. I would never run the orange stuff in any vehicle I own.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Flushed my system a few months ago and re-filled w/regular ole green anti-freeze, all is well here. That orange shit is over rated and over priced

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Only thing wrong with dexcool is user neglect. People think its a lifetime coolant when its not. Change it half as often as you would green stuff and there will never be any problems. And unless you have your motor in pieces (aka Chris) you couldn't pay me to switch. I've seen the sludge the two make when they mix. I don't want that crap in my motor! And the likelyhook of getting all the dexcool out is pretty small. So you both probably have nasty sludge crap hiding in the block.

Sent from my old skool Droid

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Dexcool also eats seals and gaskets. But yeah, the sludge is gross. I took my Regal to a shop that specializes in cooling systems and they flushed all the deathcool out and put the green stuff in for me. No sludge.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
In the mid 90's it ate gaskets. And that was just due to some oversight for a few yrs on GM's part. Not since then though. Everything is dexcool compatible since the late 90's. Otherwise you'd hear about it constantly. Its a lot better than the old school green stuff in most ways. And its nice since it lasts a lot longer. Maybe 1 or 2 changes in the life of the vehicle instead of every 30-40k with green stuff like you "should do".

Sent from my old skool Droid

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
I just drained the Dexcool from my LLY, and it looked brand new 8 + years. No sludge and I wondered if I should put it back!

There is nothing wrong with the new Dexcool.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I ran Dex in my 6.5 for 300,000 Km's. No problems. My Dmax has Dex in it and as far as I'm concerned I'm leaving it in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well when I bought the truck it had dexcool in it after I wrecked the truck the dealership put the green stuff in the truck

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
OK today I walked out to my truck and seen a puddle of green sure enough coming from the weep hole how much time do I have? Dealer ship wants 1200+ to install one and im 16 hours from home. I'm in Texas city for work is there anyone close that has a garage that can help me?
I would leave the reservoir cap loose so it does not build pressure and drive it home. With the cool weather, you should be fine. Just watch the coolant level.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts