Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have you tried putting this in the 911 section? Maybe someone will reach out there? Sorry bud im in va or i would loan a hand

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I thought about but its just a dribble rite now if I have time left on it I'll wait till I get home but if I don't I'll jump on it now

·
Registered
558 Posts
I walked out of my house about 3 weeks ago and saw a puddle of coolant. Took it to the shop and said it was the water pump and its leaking bad and laid out a 1100 bill in front of me....i was out of that door before that paper could hit the counter top. That was about 3 weeks ago and i was going to do it myself but since it leaked that first time i havent seen a leak since. The coolant level hasnt budged and i made a SIX hour trip up to georgia and everything was fine. No leaks or change in level. I dont know if the shop is full of it or some how it just hasnt leaked again. Anyways im not complaining and probably wont change it until i see it leak again or the coolant starts draining.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I walked out of my house about 3 weeks ago and saw a puddle of coolant. Took it to the shop and said it was the water pump and its leaking bad and laid out a 1100 bill in front of me....i was out of that door before that paper could hit the counter top. That was about 3 weeks ago and i was going to do it myself but since it leaked that first time i havent seen a leak since. The coolant level hasnt budged and i made a SIX hour trip up to georgia and everything was fine. No leaks or change in level. I dont know if the shop is full of it or some how it just hasnt leaked again. Anyways im not complaining and probably wont change it until i see it leak again or the coolant starts draining.
yea mitchell time is 8.2 hrs, so labor parts and coolant ,1150 was what i charged last time , its a good thing when u can do these things urself thats for sure

·
Registered
558 Posts
yea mitchell time is 8.2 hrs, so labor parts and coolant ,1150 was what i charged last time , its a good thing when u can do these things urself thats for sure
Agreed. I mean i know why garages charge that much but i dont know why they run the job at 8.2 hours when people claim doing it their self in a garage in 4 hours? And parts cost about $150 with coolant? I just think its alittle ridiculous, but like you said good thing i have some mechanical knowledge to where i can do it myself!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
well its not the shop , its the manuals , mitchell is what sets the times, well for me since we use mitchell, shops are a businees like any others , by the time the employee and the rent , and the goverment and the parts , and the insurance. and supplies are paid that 8 hrs is gone

budy of mine paints for gm and builds out 20 hrs a day sometimes , it is what it is ,

just be glad u can do it urself

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Agreed. I mean i know why garages charge that much but i dont know why they run the job at 8.2 hours when people claim doing it their self in a garage in 4 hours? And parts cost about $150 with coolant? I just think its alittle ridiculous, but like you said good thing i have some mechanical knowledge to where i can do it myself!
the book calls for 8.2 because the steps say to remove the t-stat housing and water outlet, but you can sneak the pump and housing out with out removing it all. Tricks of the trade :thumb

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
but since it leaked that first time i havent seen a leak since. The coolant level hasnt budged and i made a SIX hour trip up to georgia and everything was fine. No leaks or change in level. I dont know if the shop is full of it or some how it just hasnt leaked again. Anyways im not complaining and probably wont change it until i see it leak again or the coolant starts draining.
Mine was very sporadic, there were times I couldnt go 30 Mikes down the highway and is have to fill it, the go weeks without a drop

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Red when are you headding home? let us know when you get there. just a tip i had to use an air chisel to get the fan broke free. i had a fan tool but for some reason there were no bolts to hold on to. i put the air chisel on it at any angle and it will break free. that was the hardest part for me. good luck my friend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well I'm here for 6 to 8 weeks home for two weeks then hopefully to Nashville for two years mite sell the old beast and get a newer truck to build up looked at a 08 southern comfort today 180,000 miles wanted 22,500 worth it ?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts