Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am new to the site and i just got my first duramax. i am looking to do some upgrades on it. i wanna start out doing an air intake, programmer, and exhaust. i have decided on a afe stage 2 intake and an mbrp single stack. the many thing is i dont know what programmer to go with. everyone i talk to tells me to go with something different.

if anyone knows what programmer will work best with my lmm duramax that would be great. also everything else is stock and i dont plan on re doing the trans so nothing that would blow it apart.

Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There is a sticky in this section I think that helps with this question. "which tuner is right for me" It can help answer your questions. You will need one that deletes the DPF and from what I have read most people say the stock trans can hold up to about 100 extra hp as long as you don't abuse it all the time. Edge, quad, EFI and an EFI tuned ECM are popular choices here. Good luck.

Steve

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts

·
2500HD Club Member
1,500 Posts
I would save my money and not buy a cold air intake, their no use unless your pushing 500 plus HP

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, i am going to do a dpf delete. i did talk to a company down in Kentucky and they say go with the edge evolution race version but everyone i talk to says edge is garbage. then i talk to summit racing and they said go with bully dog. i guess i am just not sure what to pick. i am kinda leaning towards the edge cause people say it blows smoke and that's something i been aiming for. the place in Kentucky is a diesel performance shop and they say the edge is the best for the lmm and they say don't go higher than level 4 which is 105 hp and 235 ft of torque. can the stock Allison handle that?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Level 3 would be safer.

You should talk with some of our site vendors they're going to know a lot more than a generic diesel shop.

Edge is fine, the CTS Evolution Race would work perfectly for you.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
The Edge Evolution Race will work great on your LMM. Most people say that Edge is junk because the Edge Juice with Attitude isn't the best performer on a duramax. The Evolution line of tuners is top notch though!! I think you would be very happy with it.

Let me know if I can get you any prices or if I can help with anything. We have everything you'll need :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks everyone for your help. Ya if there is any vendors out there that read this and can give me a price for the afe intake stage 2, mbrp single stack with black stack, and the edge programmer that would be great. Also whats the differences between the edge evolution race and the edge cts race?

Also the truck is an 08 sierra duramax, ext cab, 6 ft bed, 4 wheel drive.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so in your opinion is the Edge Evolution / Race fine or should i spend the extra money for the Racing Evolution CS / CTS?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Like someone else said above, from what I have been told your stock intake is good for up to 500+ hp so no need to spend the money on it. Why blow smoke? You are wasting fuel and giving all us diesel owners a bad name!!!!!

Steve

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
ok so in your opinion is the Edge Evolution / Race fine or should i spend the extra money for the Racing Evolution CS / CTS?
I had both...

first the Racing Evolution.. worked great.

then the CTS Racing Evoltuion.. also worked great.. just looks cooler, more features.

here's a pic.

Here's a link to it in action: e78a6ae5.mp4 video by 98S70R - Photobucket

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya your right it does look cooler. now if i do put the exhaust and programmer and air intake it wont throw lights on will it? and when you have the programmer on level 3 does it throw black smoke?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
No, the Tuner will turn off the DPF codes.

The intake really isn't going to do anything for you right now.. you could spend that money on other things.. just a FYI.

and yes.. it will smoke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whats a PCV Re-Route. i am sorry about all the question i am just new to this and wanna make sure i get the best for my money

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
o ok i see now. thanks that's a good idea. so if i do the exhaust and the programmer it should put me around 450 hp right? also alot of this stuff i wont be doing myself. i will be taking it to a shop. anyone know of a good one in Michigan? i have heard of hallas performance. is there any other ones?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts