Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Welp, I did it! I can't tell you how nervous I was when I first put the sander to the paint to remove the old stuff! All in all, I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. There are a few small blemishes but only stuff I will probably notice.

I can't thank the two of you enough for all the help and encouragement to do this myself!! I'm pumped it turned out so well and I learned a new skill while I was at it. Now I'm thinking of what else to paint!

Thank you guys again so much! :drink

Here are some before, during, and after pics. I also color matched my grill and bowtie while I was at it. I still need to do a little sanding to knock down some small orange peel, but nothing major. I let my dad borrow my polisher to do his Chevelle, so I need to wait until he is done with that.

Before.

During

This was before any sanding was done on the clear coat

View on Flickr

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wow! That turned out great! From the pictures it looks like factory. Even zoomed in I couldn't see a color difference, great job blending. Now watch all you neighbors are going to want their car painted. Thanks for updating us.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Wow! That turned out great! From the pictures it looks like factory. Even zoomed in I couldn't see a color difference, great job blending. Now watch all you neighbors are going to want their car painted. Thanks for updating us.
HAHA! Yep, I already had one request from a neighbor.

The back masking technique suggested by chris86 and that youtube video worked really well. Although I did use a little too much clear coat blender so I got a few runs in the clear. I sanded them most of the way out, still have a little work to do. But all-in-all it worked really well!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So, one year later and I'm really disappointed in how long the paint has lasted. In some areas it's even worse than before I painted.

My pictures above went away somehow, so to remind you what it looked like when I was done.

And now one year later...

What did I do wrong? Surely it should stick longer than this!

I ended up going back a few months after first painting it and putting bed liner under the cab. It has held up very well!! But my paint, not so much. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
wasnt prepped properly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sorry I have been off the net for awhile. Sorry it turned out like that. I would recommend sanding to remove all the rust back to metal. Clean with acetone.

Note* I am not a fan of Bondo. I prefer to use filler primer and sand. But if there are any really deep divots from the rust you might have to bindo them
Once the metal is sanded and prepped (with or without bondo) try applying bulldog adhesion promoter then a self etching primer. You can put filler primer on top of self etching primer if needed. Then do like you did last time.

Again be mindful not to paint with high humidity. Hope this helps. Sorry again for the late reply

2015 GMC 3500hd Denali crewcab drw 4x4... Leaving this one stock

·
Registered
9 Posts
you should really sandblast those rust spots and make sure all rust is gone, look closely and make sure all the rust was removed. If there is a tiny spec left it'll come through 6months to a year. Once your sure you removed it all then sand the surrounding areas with 220, then coat the bare metal areas with etching primer and let completely dry. Then you can do your filler work over that if needed, again if bare metal spots appear cover them with etching primer. Use a primer of your choice to cover the area and sand with 400-600. you can use a cheap spray paint to use as a guide coat when sanding to make sure the surface doesn't have any imperfections.After your satisfied with all that, use the base color of your choice. I usually only color sand if something got into it like a bug or a piece of dirt or whatever, make sure the base has flashed before applying clearcoat. When applying clear do a tack coat which is basically putting it on dry and then 2-3 wet coats, make sure between coats you let it tack up before applying the next. If rust came through your paint it means that there was still rust there before respraying it.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts