Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I've never had HID's and think I have them figured out now but want to make sure before I order! Plan is to go with 35watt 3000k fog's, 35w 6000k low's and 35w 8000k high's? I'm set on the 3000k fog's but should i go with 4300k or 6000 or the low's? I want 6000k but I've never had HID's so I don't know much about them.....The high's I just figure will be one higher than what the low's are!

However, I need to make sure I'm ordering the right parts/what I need! That's the confusing part.....I'm going with the DDM kits as plenty are running them with success. Can someone PM me with the correct link on DDM's site with what kit I need? I'd post the link on here but they aren't a sponsor and I don't think I'm allowed since they aren't....? What bulbs do I need? What I found that I think is what I need is the "Raptor HID kit" but what bulb type do I need? Same bulb for low's, high's and fog's? Do I need the HID harness? adapter cables? I know I don't need the error code eliminator as that was mentioned in the sticky! What about the mounting brackets?

After reading the sticky, I'll take that advice and stay with 35w and I like the 3000k in the fog's. Pic's of setup's are welcome!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I dont deal with DDM but IMO id go with 4300k, thats what most OEM use and will get the most light output on the road

The higher the number goes the more color you get and less output of light, I have 4300k in my personal truck, my dad has 6k in his and mine are much brighter on the road. 6k and 8k are just to much color for my taste

As for harness i would do the relay harness they are cheap and help keep the voltage right. Mounting brackets should come with the kit

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
if you want some color but still decent light output, go with the 35w 6k's. Dont get 35w 8k's.. they will be blue and relatively useless.

5k will be your best bet for light output, the whitest brightest. My setup is 35w 3000k fogs, 35w 6k lows and 55w 6k hi's. They look good and perform efficient enough, however if i were to do this setup again i would go 5k's like i have in my previous setups. 6k is the highest color i will ever go.

I have some pictures in my gallery under my user profile in case you want to see my setup.
you will need two 9005 two 9006 and two h10's for your fogs :thumb

all you need is the raptor kits, themselves, they will plug straight in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
actually 4300k is the closest to white, 5k will have some color but not as much as 6k and 8k. My 4300k have a hint of blue on warm up but once they are warmed there is no color but white
6k's are pretty blue, 8k you start getting purple

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^correct, 4300 is the bees knees, last time i checked ddm didnt offer this color though. it's been a while, so i could be incorrect now.

i hate the people running 8/10k. just makes me want to punch them in the face. and i feel like an idiot running my 6ks half the time. So much for wanting to try something different when i ordered them.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ah yes, been a while since i have delt with DDM, gave them many chances and was let down to many times

I have the Retro Solutions Nightvision kit now in 4300k and it is by far the best kit ive ever had. My uncle has 6k DDM and he hates them, my dad has some 6k off of ebay and they are extremely blue and flicker alot

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Retro solutions does have a quality kit. I ran their 4300k setup in my land rover when i had it and never had issues with them. Plus the briefcase they came in was badass haha. I definitely miss the color (or lack thereof) of the 4300k setup.

Sucks to hear you've had bad experiences.. I'm on about my 10th kit from them from various bikes/vehicles and have yet to have an issue. Guess its just one of those things in life lol. :drink

·
Registered
271 Posts
i guess it wasnt just the kits it was the service , paid for 2 day shipping came in 4 days and they wouldnt refund the difference. Warranty was a joke, waited weeks for a ballast once. Dunno guess i just got fed up with it so i stopped dealing with them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looked at retro solutions site, damn they cost alot more $$$$ but I do like the 5000k option they have which DDM doesn't

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, sent Retrosolutions a PM on here......I'm looking at a 35w 3000k fog, 35w 4300k low and 35w 5000k high. Will a 4300k low be good enough? Don't want it to be less bright than stock haha, sorry I'm a newb at HID's but I do agree, I hate the people around town with the purple bright ass HID's

·
Registered
271 Posts
4300k HID is what all OEM cars use, 3x brighter than standard halogen light. In my opinion 4300k puts out the most light on the actual road

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would personally put 55w's in the highs in something like a 6k HID, but anything is much brighter then regular halogens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts