Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone help me figure out how bad this turned out. Thought about buying this fifth wheel, took it camping, then went by the Cat Scale. Owner said it weighed 14500 loaded, so I weighed it. Weighed just my truck, then weighed truck and camper. Hopefully I can post the pictures.
Truck only

Truck and Camper loaded

Truck Data

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot
Font Material property Receipt Temperature Rectangle

Truck is a 2016 Chev 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard Bed SRW

Font Material property Receipt Temperature Rectangle

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
You know the total weight of (truck plus camper) and truck (only) so subtract truck only from (truck plus camper).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so camper weights 14,620. What is my pin weight? Or do you need more info to calculate that? I’m just thinking that I am way over on my pin weight, putting too much weight on my rear truck tires? Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks like your trailer weighs 14,660 and your pin wt. is 3080. The weight of your trailer hooked up to the rear of the truck shifted 40 lbs. from the front axle to the rear axle.
With those #'s it looks like you're over the GVWR and the Rear Axle Wt. Rating (RAWR). 3/4 ton truck?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like your trailer weighs 14,660 and your pin wt. is 3080. The weight of your trailer hooked up to the rear of the truck shifted 40 lbs. from the front axle to the rear axle.
With those #'s it looks like you're over the GVWR and the Rear Axle Wt. Rating (RAWR). 3/4 ton truck?
Yes, 3/4 truck. How much am I over on GVWR and the rear axle?

·
Registered
215 Posts
All your images above showed up 3x by the way.

There another sticker in your truck door jamb with tire loading information, and your payload (cargo carrying capacity) at the time the truck left the factory. You have to subtract anything in the truck from that number, including your pin weight, to see where you’re at.

I like this weighing resource from RVforum.net… click the Download button to view: https://www.rvforum.net/resources/weighing-travel-and-fifth-wheel-trailers.83/

Although there are exceptions, most 3/4 ton trucks lack the payload to safely carry the pin weight of a lot of 5th wheels on the road.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Since you are looking at weight ratings, check the weight rating of your tires and compare this to the weight of your rear axle with the trailer attached. States police the weights differently, so it's always best to talk to a state trooper/highway patrol officer to see what they do in your state. And also ask about the registration weights. Lots of variations there also.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
If you have aftermarket wheels you may want to check to see if they are rated for that kind of weight. Most are not.

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
135 Posts
With that kind of weight, you need a one ton to tow it safely. My cargo carrying capacity is 3,800 pounds. I wouldn't go over 2,800 pounds of pin weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you are looking at weight ratings, check the weight rating of your tires and compare this to the weight of your rear axle with the trailer attached. States police the weights differently, so it's always best to talk to a state trooper/highway patrol officer to see what they do in your state. And also ask about the registration weights. Lots of variations there also.
I have OEM 20” wheels that currently have load rated E tires at 3195 lbs. And I’m learning that is the highest rated tire that will fit my wheels. And today hopefully I can find out what my rear axle is rated out. Looks to be a good difference in the gear ratio .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Everybody has already answered your question, and you have the answer staring you in the face. The sticker in the pic you posted clearly shows the rear axle gross weight at 6200 pounds. And as was already stated, you are 480 pounds over. Yes, you are over weight. Yes, that is too much trailer for your truck. And as far as gears, every duramax pickup until 2020 came with 3.73 gears.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Everybody has already answered your question, and you have the answer staring you in the face. The sticker in the pic you posted clearly shows the rear axle gross weight at 6200 pounds. And as was already stated, you are 480 pounds over. Yes, you are over weight. Yes, that is too much trailer for your truck. And as far as gears, every duramax pickup until 2020 came with 3.73 gears.
And, a gear and/or tire change isn’t going to make up for the fact that the truck is overloaded. 👍🏻

·
Registered
13 Posts
The rear end in the 3/4 ton, 1 ton SRW and DRW trucks are the same. The only difference is how many leaf springs and the weight rating of the tires. If you modify accordingly It will increase the load carrying capability. Obviously the sticker on the inside of the door remains the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last Camping trip with the 2500
Steer Axle: 5100
Drive Axel: 7600
Trailer Axel: 15300
Gross: 28,000

This was after camping for 1 week and all tanks empty so not included is:
Firewood
Water (Dry Camping) always bring water 130 gallons
Empty fuel station 60 gallons

Truck had 7500 lb Bags
2500 lb springs
Tires 3860 lb

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’ve heard it stated many times that the 3500HD axle tubes and other parts are thicker. I’ve never cut one up, I can’t verify, and even though the application shows the same axle in 2500HD and 3500HD applications, I’m just saying what I’ve read numerous times.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have OEM 20” wheels that currently have load rated E tires at 3195 lbs. And I’m learning that is the highest rated tire that will fit my wheels. And today hopefully I can find out what my rear axle is rated out. Looks to be a good difference in the gear ratio .
Have you read any of the replies to your original post??

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread with definitive information on vehicle weights and capacities in terms of both the laws of man and the laws of physics? And wouldn't it be even nicer if it was a sticky in this very section of the forum?

Oh, wait, here it is...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you read any of the replies to your original post??
Yes I have. I have learned a lot. Except for the one grumpy reply. I’m not a truck professional, but to the ones that have been trying to help me, thank you a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread with definitive information on vehicle weights and capacities in terms of both the laws of man and the laws of physics? And wouldn't it be even nicer if it was a sticky in this very section of the forum?

Oh, wait, here it is...

Now that, is a wealth of information. Thank you for posting the link.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts