Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve heard it stated many times that the 3500HD axle tubes and other parts are thicker. I’ve never cut one up, I can’t verify, and even though the application shows the same axle in 2500HD and 3500HD applications, I’m just saying what I’ve read numerous times.
Not to discredit your post but you have not provided anything to back it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread with definitive information on vehicle weights and capacities in terms of both the laws of man and the laws of physics? And wouldn't it be even nicer if it was a sticky in this very section of the forum?

Oh, wait, here it is...

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a thread with definitive information on vehicle weights and capacities in terms of both the laws of man and the laws of physics? And wouldn't it be even nicer if it was a sticky in this very section of the forum?

Oh, wait, here it is...

Decent post, it has good info but still it's not Law!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

As Uncle Jed would say, "pitiful, just pitiful." There are builders out there, like the place that sawed this tube off, that install new tubes with much thicker walls, about 1/2" thick I believe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not to discredit your post but you have not provided anything to back it up.
by all means, discredit it. I gave the disclaimer in my post that I DON’T have the facts or evidence to back it, I’m not sure that I believe it myself. I’m just saying that I have read it from others that know these trucks. I didn’t want to come across as stating something as fact that I don’t know to be fact. I wish I knew for sure whether it was true.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Last Camping trip with the 2500
Steer Axle: 5100
Drive Axel: 7600
Trailer Axel: 15300
Gross: 28,000

This was after camping for 1 week and all tanks empty so not included is:
Firewood
Water (Dry Camping) always bring water 130 gallons
Empty fuel station 60 gallons

Truck had 7500 lb Bags
2500 lb springs
Tires 3860 lb
Decent post, it has good info but still it's not Law!
Not sure what you're referring to. If there's information in that thread you believe is inaccurate I'm happy to address your concerns. But if you want to focus on legalities you should take a good look in the mirror because there's no 3/4-ton truck in the world that can be legally operated at the rear gross axle weight you posted (7600 lbs). And there's no 1-ton SRW truck in the world that can be legally operated at my truck's rear axle weight which is almost 9000 lbs. Everyone has to make their own decisions about the legal risks they're willing to assume.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
by all means, discredit it. I gave the disclaimer in my post that I DON’T have the facts or evidence to back it, I’m not sure that I believe it myself. I’m just saying that I have read it from others that know these trucks. I didn’t want to come across as stating something as fact that I don’t know to be fact. I wish I knew for sure whether it was true.
FWIW, I believe the axles on the 2500/3500 were identical until the 2020 model year, at which point the 3500 began shipping with a larger ring gear than the 2500 (same 3.42 ratio as the 2500, though -- I think the ring and pinion are both just physically larger, and I imagine the carrier has to be bigger as well). But I don't know if the differential housing, axle tubes/shafts, etc. are different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to. If there's information in that thread you believe is inaccurate I'm happy to address your concerns. But if you want to focus on legalities you should take a good look in the mirror because there's no 3/4-ton truck in the world that can be legally operated at the rear gross axle weight you posted (7600 lbs). And there's no 1-ton SRW truck in the world that can be legally operated at my truck's rear axle weight which is almost 9000 lbs. Everyone has to make their own decisions about the legal risks they're willing to assume.
I said your post had good info in it. What I am saying is the blanket statement about operating a personal vehicle over what the manufacture rated it at. Doesn't apply to every state! You can modify to carry the load! Unless you live in certain states. I would assume you don't know every states laws about towing with personal vehicles or RV's? Not trying to Shit post either FWIW.

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
I said your post had good info in it. What I am saying is the blanket statement about operating a personal vehicle over what the manufacture rated it at. Doesn't apply to every state! You can modify to carry the load! Unless you live in certain states. I would assume you don't know every states laws about towing with personal vehicles or RV's? Not trying to Shit post either FWIW.
Pls post any documentation or evidence to support your position. Am most interested in how one can modify a truck to "legally" carry any load beyond the OEM standards. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
87 Posts
Install air bags in the rear and you’ll be fine.
That will not change the rating that is on the door.
He will not be fine unfortunately. The truck is too light for the application, he is overweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
That will not change the rating that is on the door.
He will not be fine unfortunately. The truck is too light for the application, he is overweight.

It’s done daily. Amazing how much weight air bags can support.

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
87 Posts
It’s done daily. Amazing how much weight air bags can support.
Unfortunately, It doesn’t change the rating on the truck tho. He is still over weight. Tires are looked at first, than the door post.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Let's reel this one back in, my friends, before we go somewhere that gets this thread closed. I can feel it coming....
Don't you ruin our fun, I say let it ride...

21 - 40 of 72 Posts