Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Chevy 3500 L5P CC LB SRW 2WD LTZ
34 Posts
Back to OP original question. The combination posted is over your rear axle rating. Check your tires to see what their rating is. Several years ago I pulled a 15-16k 5th wheel with my Dmax 2500. It actually pulled really well except for when a larger truck would pass. Then we would get all kinds of sway. Didn't think about it until we started thinking about going bigger with the trailer. Did a bunch of studying and figure out just how overloaded we were. We upgraded trucks to a 3500 DRW. My what a difference!
We now have a 3500 SRW and we are going to be pretty close on the rear axle weight. The test run is in a couple weeks. We shall see.
No amount of modification will change what the truck is rated from the factory and the factory DOES NOT change stickers unless they make a mistake.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
How about this? If the OP is still monitoring this thread and isn't completely disgusted yet, maybe he'll answer a question or two to help other members better help him.

@MontanaChevy - Exactly what are you trying to accomplish here?

Are you trying to stay strictly within the stated limits of your truck's loading placard?

Are you just trying to understand the weight splits to make decisions regarding modifications to help your truck better handle the trailer?

Are you looking for legal advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so camper weights 14,620. What is my pin weight? Or do you need more info to calculate that? I’m just thinking that I am way over on my pin weight, putting too much weight on my rear truck tires? Thank you so much for your help.
Fifth wheel pin weight is calculated at approx. 19-20% of trailer weight unloaded,loading with what we all load trailers with will cause that weight to increase.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Sadly..I also am a DMAX owner .. the motor is 1000 lbs heavier than a gasser....taking away from your GVWR...
My 5'er puts me 60 lbs over on drive axle .....:oops:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Haven't weighed with my 19, my 04 2500 I was OK on axle but 500 over gross.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious why the trailer hasn't been discussed. When i had my 33 foot trailer made, axle placement was critical fot the way it was going to be loaded. Would it be possible to shift some of your trailer weight to the rear of the trailer axles? As i recall my 2500HD with the duramax has a max trailer weight of 17500 pounds, which would mean within the limits. Shifting the weight to the rear of the trailer axles will shift the weight from the truck to the trailer. As one other guy said, the pin weight should be between 19 to 20% of the trailer weight which is about 2755 lbs. You currently look to have a 3680 lb pin weight and you are 1540 over GVWR with the trailer on. Can you shift at least 1000 pounds to the rear of your trailer axle? It would get you a hell of a lot closer to your limits. You should end up just shy of a 19% pin weight and a few pounds over your GVWR. saavy?

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
101 Posts
He would have to weigh each trailer axle first to see what the weights are. Its possible he could be overweight on his front trailer axle as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
True, he needs to make sure they didnt give him axles that are already at their limits. I had that problem with a boat trailer. Its crazy what some of the trailer places will do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have OEM 20” wheels that currently have load rated E tires at 3195 lbs. And I’m learning that is the highest rated tire that will fit my wheels. And today hopefully I can find out what my rear axle is rated out. Looks to be a good difference in the gear ratio .
You will find
the rear axle wt rating is 2x the tire wt rating. Of course this is also on the door jamb, but thats how they arrived at that number.
And as you have found, thats about highest wt rated tire you can buy.
you are #400 something over the rear axle wt limit. Not much you can do. Shift some wt around in the trailer, or go smaller or run it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could someone help me figure out how bad this turned out. Thought about buying this fifth wheel, took it camping, then went by the Cat Scale. Owner said it weighed 14500 loaded, so I weighed it. Weighed just my truck, then weighed truck and camper. Hopefully I can post the pictures.
Truck only
View attachment 1091875

Truck and Camper loaded

View attachment 1091876
Truck Data
View attachment 1091877
View attachment 1091875 View attachment 1091876 View attachment 1091877
Truck is a 2016 Chev 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard Bed SRW

View attachment 1091875 View attachment 1091876 View attachment 1091877
Bottom line your truck is over-grossed by 1540 lbs. I had a similar circumstance with 2500HD with GVRW of 9200 lbs. eventually couldn't keep the front end aligned. Your truck will pull it, but it ain't gonna like it. Should you have an accident, the insurance company will easily figure out you over-grossed the truck and basically walk away from you. Get a 1 ton.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
P.S when my fresh water tank ( in the rear of camper) is full ... I am light by 140 lbs on truck ...
I realize scales are not perfect .... so I am ok with the variance.....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
To all the folks referring to the truck being over its GVWR: y'all know that individual unit GVWRs are irrelevant for combinations, right?

Don't let that stop you from lecturing folks on the internet, though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please explain why the GVWR is irrelevant when the scale shows this truck is over the 10K GVWR? If I'm missing something about this I'd like to know. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,879 Posts
GVWR is for the vehicle and payload.

GCVWR would be applicable to a vehicle pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
101 Posts
That is incorrect,
The topic is the axles, you cannot be over on the axle weight nor the tire weight rating. Loaded axle weight on all axles on the combined unit.
The rear axle in the above example is 6200 lbs rated. Front is 5200lbs, it does not mean you can load the truck to a weight of 11400lbs,
GVWR cannot be exceeded, wether a trailer is attached or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
How about this? If the OP is still monitoring this thread and isn't completely disgusted yet, maybe he'll answer a question or two to help other members better help him.

@MontanaChevy - Exactly what are you trying to accomplish here?

Are you trying to stay strictly within the stated limits of your truck's loading placard?

Are you just trying to understand the weight splits to make decisions regarding modifications to help your truck better handle the trailer?

Are you looking for legal advice?
I am still reading and learning. My goal was to figure my pin weight and overall see where and how much I am over weight. Of course my truck will pull it. The brakes are larger than OEM, and it stops really well. To be honest, most 3/4 trucks that pull anything are over weight one way or other. Where my main concern is would be the weight over the rear axle and how much weight is on my tires. My 20” GY 265/60/20 weight capacity is 3195 lbs each. The axles on the fifth wheel are placed really far back, which is bad. I wished that I would have put water in the rear tank to see how much weight was took off the hitch. But basically , the weak spot on any truck looks to be the tires, on my truck, just because of the size. A lot of good advice is being presented to me, and I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That is incorrect,
The topic is the axles, you cannot be over on the axle weight nor the tire weight rating. Loaded axle weight on all axles on the combined unit.
The rear axle in the above example is 6200 lbs rated. Front is 5200lbs, it does not mean you can load the truck to a weight of 11400lbs,
GVWR cannot be exceeded, wether a trailer is attached or not.

Nope. Again, individual unit GVWRs are irrelevant for combinations. For combinations it is the truck's GCWR (if printed on the door sticker) or the sum of the units' respective GVWRs (if GCWR is not on the door sticker, or if the sum of the units' GVWRs is less than the printed GCWR).

FMCSA is pretty clear about this and state level DOTs generally inherit their regulations and enforcement practices from them.

Also, if individual unit GVWRs were "a thing" for combinations, then you'd wind up double counting the pin weight (since the weight is actually part of the trailer and obviously would count against its GVWR but you'd also be counting it against the truck's GVWR). But they're not, so we don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
2021 3500HD GMC Denali
101 Posts
Nope. Again, individual unit GVWRs are irrelevant for combinations. For combinations it is the truck's GCWR (if printed on the door sticker) or the sum of the units' respective GVWRs (if GCWR is not on the door sticker, or if the sum of the units' GVWRs is less than the printed GCWR).

FMCSA is pretty clear about this and state level DOTs generally inherit their regulations and enforcement practices from them.

Also, if individual unit GVWRs were "a thing" for combinations, then you'd wind up double counting the pin weight (since the weight is actually part of the trailer and obviously would count against its GVWR but you'd also be counting it against the truck's GVWR). But they're not, so we don't have to worry about that.
No, sorry.
Pin weight is just that, it gets distributed to the rear axle of the truck, Therefore the higher rear axle rating, don’t forget your hitch weight is your payload rating.
There is no different than putting 3500lbs block in the back of the box, or putting a hitch in there and pinning up to something.
DOT will use the GVW of the trailer and the GVW of the truck, all of that is measured at the axles for your combined Your combined GVWR. The ratings on the tags are what the officer is going to look at, commercial vehicles they will look at your licenced GVWR, with you see on a sticker on the cab of the truck, which you can set at whatever suits your needs for combination. You cannot go over the licensed commercial vehicles GVWR, same as the GVWR of the truck and the trailer.
The beauty thing about a bumper pull, I can transfer weight off the rear axle to the front axle, I can also do that with the trailer axles as well, all with adjusting the hitch.

Using your example the truck has a GVWR of 10000lbs and a travel trailer has a GVWR of 12000lbs, your saying you can roll on a scale and be 25000lbs combined and be legal weight?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts