Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Silverado 2500HD with HID lights, but they flicker while on. I have checked the power to the ballast and to the bulb and it has the correct power. I also changed my bulbs and the same proplem occurs. I was considering on purchasing HID capacitors. Will the capacitors work or are they only for cars that throw codes with the installation of HIDs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine did the same thing so i took the plug from the truck and pluged it in backwards into the ballast and they work mint

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I don't have any capacitor and mine work fine. What year truck etc.? fill out your sig. Our trucks headlights are reverse polarity so the plug into the ballast has to be backwards. Try that if you haven't already

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I don't have any capacitor and mine work fine. What year truck etc.? fill out your sig. Our trucks headlights are reverse polarity so the plug into the ballast has to be backwards. Try that if you haven't already
^what he said..

unless you're doc brown and drive a delorean as your dd, you don't need any sort of capacitor setup in your duramax.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
^what he said..

unless you're doc brown and drive a delorean as your dd, you don't need any sort of capacitor setup in your duramax.
Retro Solutions told me I need one. I'm just going off what he said. Hopefully he will chime in.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The only time I've heard of running a capacitor in these trucks was a guy that put hids in his reverse lights just so they wouldn't flash on when shifting through reverse. I've heard of flickering due to a bad ballast, which also happened to me before it quit all together.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't have any capacitor and mine work fine. Our trucks headlights are reverse polarity so the plug into the ballast has to be backwards.
+1

Reverse polarity and no capacitors. Mine work just fine!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Thanks. I try that first. Had one start flickering today. Got so bad I stopped and put in a normal bulb:eek:
Try swapping the ballast with one from the opposite side. If the problem follows the ballast to the other side, you know that's the problem. If not it's most likely the bulb. You can swap that side to side also to see if the problem follows it. :drink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts