Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and i apologize if this is in the wrong place,

I have a 2005 Sierra 2500HD (04.5)LLY im 18 years old and this is my first diesel truck. the truck has 200k miles on it and is spraying coolant out the overflow line after driving i am thinking this is head gasket issue but am not sure because the upper radiator hose is not hard and i do not see any oil in the coolant i replaced the thermostats this week and that didnt help. someone told me it may be a crack in the exhaust port

any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Jack

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,585 Posts
Usually a Duramax does not cross-contaminate oil and coolant-unless its an oil cooler issue possibly or a cracked block. If you haven't yet, replace the pressure cap on the surge tank, being that the upper hose is not hard. Its an idea, but I would still highly suspect it being a head gasket issue. Keep updating with results and see if we can help narrow it down

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I agree with firefighter's advice, hope it's an easy fix!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Post some photos of the truck when you have a moment. Any mods to the engine?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
because the upper radiator hose is not hard
It's not hard when the engine's running?
or
It's not hard the next morning or days after sitting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hose isnt hard in either situation

update:

ive bought the arp studs as well as the gaskets in an all inclusive kit as well as permatex rtv

i also bought a new intake and also glow plugs I was wondering what else i need (materials wise )

I was also wondering is there a book or a really good video that will show me what to do step by step exactly

Thanks for your help everyone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum. Post some photos of the truck when you have a moment. Any mods to the engine?
ill get some pictures up when im home in a day or two and also no mods to the truck all done by the guy before me who did

EGR Delete i think

Straightpiped

·
Registered
444 Posts
I picked up the Haynes manual to keep close by for reference. Videos are good for overall awareness. I took plenty of pictures and also tried to keep the parts in order as i took them off. Ziplock bags and a sharpie come in handy too. Don't rush, and if in doubt look it up. Good luck and keep us posted. I still have all my pictures from when I did my LLY if you get stuck. Oh and start soaking your bolts with a good penetrating oil a few days before beginning. I used Aerokroil - pricey but I didn't break anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up the Haynes manual to keep close by for reference. Videos are good for overall awareness. I took plenty of pictures and also tried to keep the parts in order as i took them off. Ziplock bags and a sharpie come in handy too. Don't rush, and if in doubt look it up. Good luck and keep us posted. I still have all my pictures from when I did my LLY if you get stuck. Oh and start soaking your bolts with a good penetrating oil a few days before beginning. I used Aerokroil - pricey but I didn't break anything.
Thanks dave will do I just bought the haynes manual

will be diving into the truck monday hope i can figure it out lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Check your cap first!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts