Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was driving my truck today , and at 50 mph, it felt like my tranny just totally gave out... i pulled over and turned it off, then immediately turned it back on and it ran fine....wtf... i did put it into limp mode like 2 days ago... any information greatly appreciated.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Any codes? did it seem like it went into neutral or what?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no codes, plugged in the ppe just to double check, nothing... and no the tranny wouldnt go over like 2k, but it didnt feel like limp mode, plus my ppe is at level 1 right now, so i wouldnt think that would limp it, and i was driving normal, not aggresive.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
how hard you been on it? change the filter lately?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Need more info.... were you accelerating? No codes and "limp" does not sound right at all

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was crusing when it happened, and when i limped it two days ago i didnt have a code... havent changed the filter, only 4k miles since i bought from dealership.. and no, im not hard on it at all

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If it truly limped it would have thrown codes

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the last time it did whatever it did it wouldnt go past like 45mph

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Not saying there is not a problem but it will throw codes upon limp. What about your fuel filter

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Were you climbing a hill? Sometimes it will limp from "overboost" with those programmers on LB7's. And it doesn't even have to be too much boost, really. My EDGE had a boost fooler, and when I would climb hills it sometimes set limp, with no light, at around 20-24psi. And the code was pending so you might not have been able to read it.

Just trying to get more info.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wasnt climbing a hill, but i think im going to get all the filters replaced, hopefully it will help....scary as shit when you loose all that power just like that...

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Fyi

well the last time it did whatever it did it wouldnt go past like 45mph
Limp mode doesn't limit speed as much as rpm's. EX... If you floor it in limp it will downshift and you will lose speed, based on the gear and the 2000 rpm limit. And if you baby it up to speed, it will shift into 5th, and allow you to accelerate to 2000 rpm's, wich is about 65. So you must have been in 4th when it happened last time. If you were at 2000 rpm max, you were in limp tho.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
wasnt climbing a hill, but i think im going to get all the filters replaced, hopefully it will help....scary as shit when you loose all that power just like that...
I know! Scared me every time too!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no hill, i quickly researched and most said that it was the fuel filter, are they inline on the duramax's, sorry new to diesels lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dont know if its relevant: i used to have a MAF sensor code when i brought the truck home, but that hasnt shown up since i installed the ppe standard, probably irrelevant info but who know's

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Limp mode doesn't limit speed as much as rpm's. EX... If you floor it in limp it will downshift and you will lose speed, based on the gear and the 2000 rpm limit. And if you baby it up to speed, it will shift into 5th, and allow you to accelerate to 2000 rpm's, wich is about 65. So you must have been in 4th when it happened last time. If you were at 2000 rpm max, you were in limp tho.
then im sure it limped a couple of days ago, it went slower when i layed into her, and when i layed off it shifted into 5th...

·
Registered
327 Posts
No they are a spin on type. Passengers side down by the wheel well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts