Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself somewhat often doing honey-do jobs that push the bounds of my rear axle. my tires (LTX AT2 275/75r16) are load index 123, but the springs bottom out with around 2500lbs on them. This never happens towing so far (my 5er is only 6500 max, and only occassionally tow around/over 10k with a dump trailer). But picking up a yard of gravel doesn't work, nor a pallet of wall blocks, or any number of other things.

My shocks are all under 2 years old (Bilstein) along with the steering damper, so I'm not worried about those. I have no interest in changing my ride height. I'm debating either fully replacing the springs or adding some kind of helper spring solution. Possibly supersprings? I don't really want to break the bank (so automagical airbags are kinda out of the question), and would rather not kill the ride when unloaded (which limits my choices). Seems like supersprings or similar are the clear answer...any experience? how's installation?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
1,536 Posts
I’m not sure how a set of quality air bags isn’t up to the task when they pretty much fill in all your check boxes. Not needed for everyday use and won’t wreck the unloaded ride.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not sure how a set of quality air bags isn’t up to the task when they pretty much fill in all your check boxes. Not needed for everyday use and won’t wreck the unloaded ride.
Right up top. Dollar bills. From what I gather, I'd be looking at over a grand to put that together with the cost of the compressor and all. Seems the roadmaster or super spring are about half price (especially because they seem far easier to install as a noob)

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I think my bags were 275. Airride I like my bags.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What about Sumo springs to replace the stock bump stops. Don’t know how they work on that model year or cost, but I used a pair on my 16’ 2500 to carry a heavier load and they worked great. Cheaper than bags and as a bonus, nothing to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Have you checked out SumoSprings ? I have run them for about 65,000 miles with zero issues and really like them. They are stupid easy install for most vehicles and affordable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought sumosprings would mess with my unloaded ride, is that not really noticeable?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think my bags were 275. Airride I like my bags.
airbags might be interesting, but I never considered them without an onboard compressor. What kind of time does it take to fill them up? If I only had 5-10psi in them and wanted to fill them up to the max, how long would it take?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I thought sumosprings would mess with my unloaded ride, is that not really noticeable?
Yes they will mess with your ride by making it better.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Reactions: theheder

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
l
Yes they will mess with your ride by making it better.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
better? I thought it'd get more stiff...I prefer the ride when I've got 1000 lbs in the bed right now (empty is really hard), but when I get up above one ton back there, it's super soggy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
airbags might be interesting, but I never considered them without an onboard compressor. What kind of time does it take to fill them up? If I only had 5-10psi in them and wanted to fill them up to the max, how long would it take?
sounds like you have to check the pressure every few days!? I can't commit to that, and I don't think I'm up for the compressor add-on.

Sounds like either sumosprings or supersprings is the best answer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
l

better? I thought it'd get more stiff...I prefer the ride when I've got 1000 lbs in the bed right now (empty is really hard), but when I get up above one ton back there, it's super soggy.
The SumoSprings are not hard. They are on the soft side and absorb a lot of the bumps making for a better ride. I would go with the black ones unless you are constantly hauling over 1,500#.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The SumoSprings are not hard. They are on the soft side and absorb a lot of the bumps making for a better ride. I would go with the black ones unless you are constantly hauling over 1,500#.
Thanks! I was thinking of blue since my issues are when I'm over 1500 in the bed and black's capacity is 1500, but maybe I'm backwards? I also thought they advised matching the capacity to the axle capacity; my truck's rear axle weighs about 3k and the axle is rated for 6k (more with my 265 tires). Do you think the black ones might ride rough since they're more firm?

I was thinking I'd do the backs only at first and see how it is, add the fronts if it feels worth it...thoughts?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks! I was thinking of blue since my issues are when I'm over 1500 in the bed and black's capacity is 1500, but maybe I'm backwards? I also thought they advised matching the capacity to the axle capacity; my truck's rear axle weighs about 3k and the axle is rated for 6k (more with my 265 tires). Do you think the black ones might ride rough since they're more firm?

I was thinking I'd do the backs only at first and see how it is, add the fronts if it feels worth it...thoughts?
I run the black ones in my cargo van and the ride was much improved. If you never went over a 1,000# the blue would probably be ok. I think the factory fronts are terrible and I would definitely do them since they are probably wore out anyways.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The black are what I’d recommend as well. I also had Timbrens at one point and they were harsh when they made contact. The Sumos are a good balance between support and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Right on ... my Airlift air bags w/ wireless controller is one of the best (and most functional) additions I made to my truck.

Added helper springs to a 1500 I previously owned, and they ruined the ride when unloaded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts