Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This truck will be the death of me. Alright so my steering shaft is going....check. My hubs are going.....check. Now I have a squeak in the rear
end......Not so good. So I'm asking for some help.

When I let off the skinny pedal between 20-30mph there is a squeak front the rear end. It sounds like a squealer plate hitting an out-of-round rotor. :eek:

So a metal on metal squeak squeak squeak squeak. Tore the brakes apart. Nothing out of the ordinary, pads are perfect. :confused:

I've come to the conclusion its part of the rotating assembly on the axle. When I push on the skinny pedal it stops and if I push on the brakes fairly well it stops, but lightly on the brakes it wont stop. Any ideas before I pay $85 an hour for some guy to try to figure out what it is? :help

·
Registered
628 Posts
did you check the u-joint? Can you put it on stands and run it so you can pin point exactly where the squeak is coming from? If your pads and everything looked good my next stop would be at that u-joint.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Check your ujoints they my be dry and if they are the need to be replaced. Normally it's the other way around when you get in the throttle it squeaks and when you let out it stops. Worth looking at though.

I type to slow.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reminding me. I did check the U-joint. Nice and tight. Hope it wouldn't fail already, just had it replaced a few months ago

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. I did check the U-joint. Nice and tight. Hope it wouldn't fail already, just had it replaced a few months ago
any dents or anything in the drive shaft? I've seen dents cause u-joints to fail prematurely. Normally a u-joint will also start "clunking" when putting it in drive or when backing off and getting on the pedal but I've seen them squeak and all kinds of things. I say start there because they're so easy and cheap to replace. Ideally you'd be better off putting the rear up on stands and running it to find the squeak as long as you don't get yourself killed in the process. It's dangerous but I've done that a million times to find issues like this. Never been accused of being safe......or smart. :D

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never been accused of being safe......or smart. :D
See Avatar :drink

No dents or anything on the drive shaft. The chassis does need a coating of under paint or what ever that stuff it. Damn salt in the winter

·
Registered
628 Posts
See Avatar :drink

No dents or anything on the drive shaft. The chassis does need a coating of under paint or what ever that stuff it. Damn salt in the winter
see, you may be the one going to put out the fire but mostly likely I'm the one that started it. :rof

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see, you may be the one going to put out the fire but mostly likely I'm the one that started it. :rof
Gives me something to do :neener

·
Registered
107 Posts
I see in your sig you have a long bed does your drive shaft have a center support bearing? (carrier bearing) if it does check that it could be noisy

·
Registered
57 Posts
It could also be the emergency brake shoes bedind the rear rotor gm had a bad design on the way they attach and they can rust out and the shoes rattle as you drive. Next time you hear the noise apply the e brake slightly and see if that stops it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts