Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to get some HIDs for more lighting and for looks. I know just about nothing about this stuff so if anyone could help me out. And if someone could post pics, links, etc. And i heard the brighter they are the different color. Is this true? Thanks guys, any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
How's it going.

IMO, and I think this is technically correct as well, the whiter the bulb the brighter it is.

The color of the bulb (AKA color temp), is measured in kelvin, or just K. IE 6k, 8k, and 10k are three different color shades. The color range goes from yellow at 3000k, to purple at 15000k. I personally like mostly white light, with a tinge of blue; I'm using all 6k bulbs IIRC.

The bulbs come in the same exact sizes that regular bulbs come. So when buying them, look-up the correct bulb from any auto parts web site.

The entire system when you get it will consist of pair's of bulb's and ballast. Of course that is, 1 bulb/ballast per fixture. IMO, digital ballast's seem to make the bulbs last longer, but I'm not familiar with the particular details between digital & non-digital ballast's.

You can get bulb/ballast combo's in either 35watt, or 55watt. Most people buy 35w lows & fog lamps, but leave the high beams as regular lights. They do this because HID lights aren't instant on like halogen bulbs are, they take several seconds to warm up. This could leave you almost blind for 10+ seconds when transitioning to high beams. Although, there is a simple very inexpensive mod (all on mod), that will allow you to have on fogs/lows/highs all at the same time when you flick your brights on. I would do this mod either way! even without HID's. Also unless you live in a very rural environment, and need to be able to see for a mile ahead, I wouldn't recommend the 55w setups. That being said, I have them, and there awsome for hunting and offroad!

2001+ trucks have reverse polarity wiring, so you have to plug the ballast in backwards or they wont work. Real easy to do. Mounting the ballast easy too.

I think I paid about 40-45$ per pair of bulb's/ballast's, and I wouldn't pay much more than that IMO. I don't think I can mention the company on here that I got them from, because of sponsorship stuff ect, but Mine have lasted over two years IIRC.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/gauges-electronics-wiring/69496-hid-information-thread-answers-your-questions-here.html

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
DDMtuning.com is where a lot of guys including myself get their HID's. They are the some of the cheapest around but seem to have good reliability and also come with a lifetime warranty. I would say most people opt for 6000k to get a bright white light with just a hint of blue like beanpole said, but some people like 5000k or 4000k for just a pure bright white light. If you google it you can see side by side comparisons of color differences.

Keep in mind a 55w light will wash out a little more as it is brighter so for example a 6000k 55w light will be whiter than a 6000k 35w light. I have 35w in my lows and fogs and 55w in my highs. They do take a couple seconds to come on but they are 20x brighter than the stock ones ever were!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
DDMtuning.com :thumb is where a lot of guys including myself get their HID's. They are the some of the cheapest around but seem to have good reliability and also come with a lifetime warranty. I would say most people opt for 6000k to get a bright white light with just a hint of blue like beanpole said, but some people like 5000k or 4000k for just a pure bright white light. If you google it you can see side by side comparisons of color differences.

Keep in mind a 55w light will wash out a little more as it is brighter so for example a 6000k 55w light will be whiter than a 6000k 352 light. I have 35w in my lows and fogs and 55w in my highs. They do take a couple seconds to come on but they are 20x brighter than the stock ones ever were!
That's the place!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
35W all the way around.. 4500K.. that's as bright as you will need. 55W have been known to melt housings, and IMO are really not needed for non-offroad driving.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe a dumb question, but do I need the HID Harness, Error Eliminator, and Adaptor Cables?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Do yall know wat bulb size is needed for an lmm low bulb?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
So im looking to get some HIDs for more lighting and for looks. I know just about nothing about this stuff so if anyone could help me out. And if someone could post pics, links, etc. And i heard the brighter they are the different color. Is this true? Thanks guys, any input is appreciated.
Retro Solutions is another good place to check out HID's. They have a lot of info on their website :)

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill check them out. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ddm tuning 8000k fogs and headlights for me. All country and interstate driving and no complaints.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1364473973.951414.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do yall know wat bulb size is needed for an lmm low bulb?
If the LMM is the same as a LML, which i imagine they are, it will be:

High - 9005
Low - H11
Fog - H10

·
Registered
143 Posts
As a note, for the Canadians on the forum, because of our daytime running lights, it makes it more practical to have HID high beams because our low beams never shut off. So when I hit the switch at night I'm not left in the dark.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
DDMs tend to have a bit more blue to them. If your after pure white i wouldnt go any higher than 4300k. Personally I hate the blue tint and think it looks cheap. Whens the last time u saw a Mercedes or Audi driving around with blue headlights..

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Mercedes or Audi use the lower kelvin because it penetrates better through rain and fog. 6k is as close to actual daylight color as you can get.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
4300k-4500k are OEM(BMW,Mercedes,Audi, lexus etc.) temp range because they provide the brightest possible light(most amount of lumens). Depending on your brand, they will have a slight hint of yellow to it. 5000k is pure white and the higher you go falls into the blue to purple spectrum.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Retro Solutions is another good place to check out HID's. They have a lot of info on their website :)
X2 - Message them on here or email them from their site ....... they will take the time and explain everything to you - and they have everything you need.......

By know means am i an expert but i will share some of the knowledge i recently acquired on the subject.(what i perceive as knowledge - i could be all wrong)

If you want to go all in and do Projectors - they have the HID specific projectors to truly give you the best output .......

You have to do some reading and ask the questions - they will answer what you ask .....if you tell them "all in" they will tell you all you need and the best way to go about it....if on a budget ....they will take you that route ..... They helped educate me immensely - with patience :)

They do sell some vehicle specific kits - making for an easier install......

for color i like the 5 or 6k - 4300 is your best light output......

6k is a popular color .......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts