Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT with the 3L and like it so far.
Previously had a 98 Ram with the Cummins and manual transmission and wired in a kill switch in the clutch circuit and hid it. This was in an attempt to prevent someone stealing it. Not many people know how to drive a manual transmission now but the switch provided an extra layer of protection to ensure truck would be where parked it. With the key fob and all the electronic things in this truck, would it be possible to install a similar switch and hide it somewhere? Still under warranty so will not be doing this any time soon but figured would ask the question now so could get the necessary parts and locate where to splice in the switch and also locate it.

·
Registered
2019 GMC 2500 Denali Crew Cab Z71
80 Posts
Had one installed in my '19 2500 last year. Works great. Mine is still under warranty, but I didn't mention it to them either.

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
174 Posts
It's easier just open the hood and pull out a relay.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Why ?
Without the chip in the key it will stall out when it is taken out of park / clutch depressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why ?
Without the chip in the key it will stall out when it is taken out of park / clutch depressed.
While the key chips are pretty solid protection, criminals have gotten wiser and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some type of cloning device (which as been documented on keyless entry/push to start vehicles), or electronic bypass to get around the key chip. If you have a small micro switch that's well hidden, no amount of electronic trickery will get the engine to crank without that switch being thrown by someone's hand. Search Relay Attack in the old google machine if you're interested in why kill switches might be a good idea.

·
Registered
132 Posts
On my jeep rock crawler I have the Ravelco system put in. it's a pretty good system that works with a small plug that is wired (every vehicle is different) into the factory wiring. with this system (if you take the plug out) they would have to tow your truck to steal it. I put it on my 2011 Silverado also, cause I got a package deal.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW Z71 LTZ
21 Posts
On my jeep rock crawler I have the Ravelco system put in. it's a pretty good system that works with a small plug that is wired (every vehicle is different) into the factory wiring. with this system (if you take the plug out) they would have to tow your truck to steal it. I put it on my 2011 Silverado also, cause I got a package deal.

Misplaced your plug yet?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
knock on wood... no... they give you 2 of them. also, IF you keep the serial number you can call the company they can send you a new one, however that does take time and would be a PITA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been thinking of doing a kill switch for a long time as well but.... Then my remote start won't work so that's the down side.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I very seldom use the remote start in my truck. No aversion to it, I just don't think about it. I can live without the remote start as long as I still have my truck with a working kill switch, to get into and drive off. Near the best $100 I've spent on my truck. A crook may find the switch, but he's going to have to look hard to find it. Hopefully, time to look is on my side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shunter2005,. Haha yes having a truck to get into is always the main goal.
I do use my remote start a lot and it is very convenient for me. But if I can think of a great way to do a kill switch ( send some ideas ) then I would use it every night before I go to bed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
shunter2500 what type did you have installed?
No special type. I went to a stereo shop near me and they wired one up and ran a toggle switch for me where I wanted it. When activated, you turn the key and it does nothing. Took the guy about an hour to complete the job.

Shunter2005,. Haha yes having a truck to get into is always the main goal.
I do use my remote start a lot and it is very convenient for me. But if I can think of a great way to do a kill switch ( send some ideas ) then I would use it every night before I go to bed.
I get it. I just very seldom think about using it. Old habits and all that! I try to use the kill switch everytime I shut the truck down, but sometimes I forget. Scares the hell outta me when I realize it, because it is usually someplace like a Home Depot, Lowe's or the grocery store where it should be used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts