Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what a reliable company for hids? ive had them in my fogs and low beams for a year and ive gone through two sets in each.

·
Registered
897 Posts
DDM Tuning seems to be a pretty safe bet. Lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
i went with bf xenon for mine over a year and no probs

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
X2 on the ddm tuning .com

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
great... another hid thread

do people even read stickies or use the search function any more?

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/g...ation-thread-answers-your-questions-here.html

No more replies needed.
that thread has misinformation...i have dealt with both cheapo and expensive systems, if the ballasts are not made by phillips or hella then you will most likely have headaches. I installed lights out of a bmw on my s-10 in 2002 (before kits were known to man), when i sold it in 09 they still worked, original bulbs, original phillips ballasts...hell they were old enough to have external igniters lol. same goes for the set i just put in my duramax, bought them in 04, 12 hours after I got my trailblazer, got the impala in 07, they went in, blew the h11 bulbs in like 2010, took em out...just installed them today, still work great...they are hella ballasts. thats not months folks, thats a lot of years...those cheap hid kits will not last, you will keep going through them. I have seen it time and time again.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I've been through at least 10 sets personaly of DDM tuning and multiple sets for friends and never had one issue.

I've gone through two sets of retro solutions kit, and besides the fancy carrying case they come with I haven't noticed a single difference. NADA, nope, nil.

My vote goes to DDM tuning every which way.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
that thread has misinformation...i have dealt with both cheapo and expensive systems, if the ballasts are not made by phillips or hella then you will most likely have headaches. I installed lights out of a bmw on my s-10 in 2002 (before kits were known to man), when i sold it in 09 they still worked, original bulbs, original phillips ballasts...hell they were old enough to have external igniters lol. same goes for the set i just put in my duramax, bought them in 04, 12 hours after I got my trailblazer, got the impala in 07, they went in, blew the h11 bulbs in like 2010, took em out...just installed them today, still work great...they are hella ballasts. thats not months folks, thats a lot of years...those cheap hid kits will not last, you will keep going through them. I have seen it time and time again.
Sorry.... I have had "cheap" kits work just fine afters years of abuse in off road vehicles

and I refuse to take any sort of information seriously from a person who replaces their resonator with an air filter for "more airflow"

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Sorry.... I have had "cheap" kits work just fine afters years of abuse in off road vehicles

and I refuse to take any sort of information seriously from a person who replaces their resonator with an air filter for "more airflow"
1) i never said that they will never work, i just said "you will most likely have headaches"

2) my sig says "aFe mouthpiece, 5" MBRP straight pipe downpipe back, resonator removed and replaced with 4" paper filter for 2bbl carbs, spectre filter, airbox cut to allow more airflow." Where does it say the resonator removal and replacement was for more airflow? Did you maybe think that the part where I stated I cut my airbox to allow more airflow was somehow linked to this? Don't you think that if I wanted them to be together I would have put them in the same segment?

I simply put my post up because I have been around HID kits since they first became available...I have seen how much of a pain in the ass the cheap kits can be. Regardless if I have a filter on my res hole or not...the only thing we settled is that you tried to take a dig and failed...go waste someone else's time kid

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
my HIDs stopped working completely both of beams, i had to take them out tonight and put the regular OEM bulb back in because the hids had no fire... do yall have any ideas ow what the problem would be? i do not know what kit it is but i could take a picture of the box n stuff, the box came with no name on it or anything

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'll almost garentee the ballast went out. I had the issue but I bought new bulbs too but I hardly ever hear of the bulbs going out normally ballast. Just my opinion.

Sent from my house.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been through at least 10 sets personaly of DDM tuning and multiple sets for friends and never had one issue.

I've gone through two sets of retro solutions kit, and besides the fancy carrying case they come with I haven't noticed a single difference. NADA, nope, nil.

My vote goes to DDM tuning every which way.
I'm completely opposite from you, I've done 20-30 DDM kits and had problems with at least 10 of them, and their customer service BLOWS they always wanna blame it on "install error". Then more than 1 time paid for the faster shipping just to have them send it ground and go through a huge hassle to get refunded the difference

So far my experience with Retro Solutions has been good, but i haven't done that many kits yet. Sadly the kit that has lasted the longest was just a random one off ebay going on 2 years and 2 different cars
Guys on the cummins forums use a guy on ebay by burkemotors, they seem to have solid kits from the reviews ive read

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I'll almost garentee the ballast went out. I had the issue but I bought new bulbs too but I hardly ever hear of the bulbs going out normally ballast. Just my opinion.

Sent from my house.
sorry i didnt know, the glass part has some spots that are foggy lol if that helps, but would the ballast go out in both of them at the same time? cuz i noticed before they went out that they would flicker at moments

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have one kit off eBay and two kits from vvme. Kit from eBay is 6 years old just fried a ballast last week up until the it was trouble free. The 2 kits from vvme are just about a year old and no issues yet. I think if u buy the expensive kits u are waiting your money. Just my opinion from my experience with the knock off kits

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
The bulbs will get a residue in them, its usually a brownish to yellowish color...this is normal, its when you see black that its bad. Easy way to tell is look at the bulbs when you turn the power on, if you see a strobing effect or hear a clicking then the bulb is bad. If you don't hear/see this then the igniter or something else in the ballast is toast.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
yeah they kinda had a strobe effect going on when they were warming up, and now they dont turn on, so im guessing the ballast is toast? is ddm a place to get new ballast?

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
I'm completely opposite from you, I've done 20-30 DDM kits and had problems with at least 10 of them, and their customer service BLOWS they always wanna blame it on "install error". Then more than 1 time paid for the faster shipping just to have them send it ground and go through a huge hassle to get refunded the difference
Which is weird, as I'm completely opposite of you. I've only done around 15 DDM kits and only had a problem with one kit. Their customer service was great, tried to help me trouble shoot it and sent me replacements with expedited shipping free of charge... twice. Never tried blaming it on install. Still not sure if it was a problem with the kits or the truck (old ford ranger :rolleyes: ). But they have been working great since. Haven't had a single person tell me they have reliability issues, and I've had mine in for well over a year with a lot of use (drive WAY too much).

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^yup, their customer service has always been up to par for me when dealing with misc shipping issues (bound to happen when you order so many kits at one time)

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
im on the ddm website, how do i know what bulbs to get like i know 8k but they have different types and how will these fit in my location for the headlight connector

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Bump

1 - 20 of 33 Posts