Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...here's another issue I'm not sure is a real problem or just my imagination due to all of the problems I've had since some simple maintenance. The other day, I noticed my truck was turning over slower than normal. Since the weather's getting colder, I figured it was related to that and the fact the batteries are about 6 years old. Then my driver side headlamp burned out (low beam). I looked at a few Youtube videos on ways to change the bulb. While looking at the pieces and parts that needed to be removed, I noticed my second/driver side battery wasn't even hooked up (I have the diesel so there are two batteries). Hence the slower than normal turnover in the cold weather. So I've been driving around like this for about two weeks, ever since I had my truck inspected for possible coolant leaks. They found no leaks but must have unhooked the batteries to perform the work and forgot to hookup the second battery. Now I'm noticing a higher than normal charge rate on my gauge. I put a volt meter on the battery and it measured 15.1 volts. That's not excessive...I don't think...but seems higher than I would have expected. Does anyone think I've got a voltage regulator issue now or is this typical if one of two batteries in parallel has a low charge? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I think you need two new batteries. No, 15.1 is not too much, assuming batteries need that much voltage.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Well...here's another issue I'm not sure is a real problem or just my imagination due to all of the problems I've had since some simple maintenance. The other day, I noticed my truck was turning over slower than normal. Since the weather's getting colder, I figured it was related to that and the fact the batteries are about 6 years old. Then my driver side headlamp burned out (low beam). I looked at a few Youtube videos on ways to change the bulb. While looking at the pieces and parts that needed to be removed, I noticed my second/driver side battery wasn't even hooked up (I have the diesel so there are two batteries). Hence the slower than normal turnover in the cold weather. So I've been driving around like this for about two weeks, ever since I had my truck inspected for possible coolant leaks. They found no leaks but must have unhooked the batteries to perform the work and forgot to hookup the second battery. Now I'm noticing a higher than normal charge rate on my gauge. I put a volt meter on the battery and it measured 15.1 volts. That's not excessive...I don't think...but seems higher than I would have expected. Does anyone think I've got a voltage regulator issue now or is this typical if one of two batteries in parallel has a low charge? Thanks in advance!
Is that 15.1 volts with the vehicle running or off? If it was running, that is not necessarily unreasonable, as the charging systems in these trucks are fairly sophisticated and will adjust the alternator voltage according to the demand. But if the batteries themselves are at 15.1 volts that indicates some sort of over-charging, and I'd want to get get both the charging system and the batteries tested.

Note that if two batteries are in parallel and one has a low charge you would definitely not expect to read a higher-than-normal voltage.

Regardless of anything else, if one of your batteries needs to be replaced, I recommend replacing both batteries at the same time with the exact same make/model of battery.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine was showing 19 volts for s while
I had to replace the stepper motor on the instrument panel. Volt meter showed 14.2 volts while running.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. That seems to be consistent with my research on batteries and charging systems. I always like to use this forum as a sounding board to get an accurate perspective of what others are seeing and think on a subject. Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.