Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first Duramax about a year ago, 2006 lbz one ton dually crew long bed. bone stock one owner 115000 miles on the clock..... Did a fass 165 lift pump, pcv reroute kit, 3" down pipe, 4" straight pipe exaust, edge cts² programmer/monitor with egt probe...... Hit a deer and the insurance "fixed" it.....had high egts 900-1000 range just normal driving for couple months afterwards. Put a banks intercooler in and that helped lower egts 100-150 degrees but still 800-950 driving normal.....my question is could driving around with the Chinese chicken aftermarket intercooler that's inefficient causing high egts cause my injectors to go bad????

·
Registered
916 Posts
How can a banks "Chinese chicken aftermarket intercooler" be inefficient when it dropped your EGTs by 100-150. I agree your temps are high but the banks aint the issue since they were higher before you put the intercooler on. Hell for 100-150 degree job i"m considering one now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The insurance put a cheap intercooler in and I had egts up at 1000 + untill I out the banks in and that helped lower them but they're still up there compared to what I heard they should be

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gotta say I love the banks intercooler with the hot side pipe. Better throttle response, sounds a little different, and have lowered egts but my fear is so.e thing else is going on with the truck. Never had high egts before I hit the dear.....now it seems to be a battle I'm fighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transmission cooler, AC condenser, intercooler was all replaced by body shop. My diesel guy and me Put the banks in about a week ago which helped lower egts.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
High EGTs can be caused by something creating an extra drag, like brakes dragging, alignment issues etc. Have you noticed a drop in fuel economy? Were any suspension/steering components replaced? Anything done to the exhaust? Any noticeable changes in ECT since it was repaired? Might be some stuff to look at....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did the brakes, and replaced the front hub bearings with kryptonite. Have plans for kryptonite upper control arms and leveling keys been sitting in my garage for months but gotta figure out my egts first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just about at wit's end trying to figure this out need some help from some people who've been around the LBZ for a whileI don't want to just randomly throw parts at the problem trying to correct it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So...... But the bullet and an throwing random parts at the lbz, injectors are being rebuilt and an egr delete kit is going in. Guess we'll have to see what happens...... Wish I could have gotten more insight from those of you who have had these trucks for awhile and know what your doing

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Just about anything that causes the engine to work harder will raise the EGT some. Also anything that restricts air flow through the intercooler or raises engine temperature will have an effect. The most likely source of higher EGTs though is a restricted exhaust. Since you have removed much of what causes exhaust restriction it does not seem likely that it is the source of your high temps but it is still worth a good look to be sure nothing got bent or collapsed in the accident.

Removing the EGR will reduce the amount of heat going into the intake which will have some effect. Only time will tell if it is enough to satisfy you.

For what it is worth, modern catalytic converters rarely cause problems. They flow well and don't melt the way older ones used to. Since they do no harm and help the environment, my general advise is to leave them alone. Of course if you are going to larger exhaust pipes you would need to remove the cat or get it modified to match the pipe. For a stock engine, larger pipes are not much of an improvement on the flow.

The FASS 165 lift pump is way overkill for your basically stock engine. I've done the calculation here many times so I won't repeat it but 25 gph is all your engine can use in any case. Doubling that to 50 gph to cover age related deterioration of the pump and partial restriction of the filters would cover even the most extreme cases. If you check out the fuel filter thread that is currently running you will see that many filters are only rated for 50 gph. Unless you provide a return bleed for the massively excessive fuel flow, all of that extra capacity will mostly go to waste and may even cause mischief, though not likely. People who build 1000+ HP engines with twin turbos and two CPs with high capacity pumping units in them can take advantage of the high flow rates of the bigger lift pumps but for stock it is of no value.

There are over sized injectors to fit your engine. The advantage of larger injectors is that they inject the fuel faster so it has more time to burn before it is exhausted. That can lower EGTs because more of the energy is removed during the power stroke, leaving less to go out the exhaust. Fast injection is the equivalent of advancing the injection timing, which is a standard way to improve power and economy, at the cost of emissions and some additional stress on the engine. If you had leaky injectors, just putting in good ones may help with exhaust heat but the 30-45% over injectors might have done more.

I'm not trying to be critical or make you feel bad about anything. You just seemed to feel short changed by the amount of response you got so I thought I'd chime in. Everything I have mentioned is contained in multiple threads. You could have found it by simply researching the site. I know that takes a lot of looking but it can be done. Many members here don't feel obliged to help those who want it all laid out for them. I think it is worthwhile to get someone started but then I expect some personal responsibility for filling in the blanks.

There are people on this forum who will argue with everything I have said. Perhaps they are right and I'm wrong. You decide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts