Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do the Chevys' have a high idler other than the cold temp sensor when you first start it up? I was told that you could use the cruise control button to get the rpm's up. Is this true or just a wild guess?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Yes, you need to wire it in, but if you have an LB7 (01-04) you can get it to kick on anytime you want it. Check out this site for the install High Idle for LB7. Go under tech tips, duramax tips, and scroll down about half way and it will be called "Fast Idle installation instructions for LB7 Duramax." You can buy the wire and pin to install it from gmdieseltech. If you need any help installing it, let me know. I live on Eielson AFB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. Would've taken all of 15-20 minutes had I had an extra pin. My suggestion would be to use a small drill bit the same size as your pin, use your fingers. That should clean out the gasket a little better. I just poked a small allen wrench through it and it was a pain in the neck to get the pin in far enough because it kept snagging on the rubber. I also tapped into the green/white wire that is up at the top of the brake pedal. This makes it so you don't have to have a switch and remember to switch it when you get driving in the am. Works like a champ so far. Now alls I need to do is get it wired into my remote start so I don't have to go out and manually turn on the high idle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
do they make these for the 05 lly?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Be Very Carefull Installing

You guys that are setting up the fast Idle on the trucks have to be extremly carefull.If you put the wire in the wrong pin hole POOF goes the PC.I put mine in already in 01 after I got the truck but was instructed by fellow forum members step by step.Once you get it right it works off the power take off pin in the PC.It also requires a small pin from GM & a off & on switch plus two wires,one to the switch which is hot & the other to the PC,you will have three stepping speeds offf from the cruise.I ussally use the second step.It will also cancel out by stepping on the brake.Its bene so long that I cannot remember what pin hole it is.Im thinking 92 or 93,not sure so dont try it unless you know for sure.:)

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Take a look at the instructions that are linked in my post...It even gives you pictures of how to do it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Take a look at the instructions that are linked in my post...It even gives you pictures of how to do it.
Already looked at the Kennedy page.I was just telling everybody if you make a mistake & put the pin in the wrong hole it'll smoke the PC.When I put mine in I couldnt hardly see the pin numbers stamped on the board were the pin goes.I had to count from top to bottom to find the pin hole.Have you had yours apart at all,the pin holes are very close together so you have to be very carefull to get the pin in the right one.Mine is a 01,maybe the newer ones are different.I have never had any trouble with it since I put it in.It sure took a lot of patience to do it.Kinda interesting to see how these darn trucks are built.Sure is getting complicated every year.No comparison to the good ole days ha.Appreciate the comeback on this subject.:)

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have had mine on for almost 4 years. I didn't think it was that bad, but I do work on F-16s and some of the plugs that I have to deal with are pretty hard to see the numbers and you end up just counting. You just have to know which pin is #1. I didn't think it was that hard to see the numbers on mine...I have an 04. Also, yes, you have to make sure the pin goes straight through and actually locks. There was a snap that I heard when mine locked in. I never used a switch in mine, just used the (IIRC) green and white wire on the brake pedal. I probed it to make sure there was power in park and none in gear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yup, i just did 3 of them in lb7's in the last week or so, it's the green wire w/ the white stripe.

and i believe it was c-71 on the blue connector into the ecm.

·
Registered
81 Posts
3-Step Idle

When I got my 01 there was'nt much Imfo on this subject other then fellow forum members.Most of us that installed it back in 01 communicated back & forth here on the forum so we would get it right.There was very little Imfo on this subject from GM at that time.I remember the guys talking back & forth far as installing it.At that time I went by what the rest did to install it.It must have bene the right instructions for mine is still working perfectly.And why I got that 91 pin hole in my mind is beyond me.I guess its just to long ago to remember.I remember putting the pin in untill it snaped into place cause they said that was important & also to put the gell on the connection also.Man,when I opened the PC I was,nt to sure of that idea LOL but I went ahead anyway & put it together.When I first tryed it I remember saying a prayer so it would be right.:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone have the high idle for an 04' lb7? The instructions ob_1jr posted only says for the 01-03' duramaxs

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Anyone have an answer on the LLY question? Is high idle available on 04.5 to 06?

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I see that option on the computer settings but don't understand how or if it is working. I have mine set to on but how do you know if it's working?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Does anyone have the high idle for an 04' lb7? The instructions ob_1jr posted only says for the 01-03' duramaxs

It is the same for the 04. I did mine too with those instructions...it should say for the LB7.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Confused

The high idle on the LLY only works when the outside temp is bellow a certain level (iirc 32 degress) and the engine temp bellow a certain level (i don't remember that one).
OK I'm confused, I thought the high idle was to keep things cooled down. Is that true or is it to warm things up? Sorry for the noob question..

Brain

·
Registered
191 Posts
It helps to warm up the engine when its cold

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone know if theres a wiring diagram for this?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I don't have the wiring diagram, but it is only $5 in parts to install it. the pins are what the majority of the cost is. the instructions are pretty good though...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts