Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really hope someone can help with this, driving me crazy. I have a 2008 duramax with EFI Live. I had small wreck about 2 months ago. During the repair the passenger side battery was replaced. I have been driving the truck with no problem for about 1 month. One day it wouldn't start. Checked under the hood and noticed corrosion of the positive battery terminal clamp and acid leaking out of the passenger side battery. Also showing a voltage of 15 or 16v on the gauge. After some tests at Auto Zone I replaced the Alternator, positive battery clamp, and they hooked me up with a new battery. Now its still showing the high voltage of around 15 or 16. I've had the truck 3 years and its always sat right at 14v. Now it has thrown three codes, P154B, P154D, and P0107.

I have read some contradicting things about the voltage, but was convinced it had something to do with the new battery that was put on. Really appreciate anyone who can help me get to the bottom of this one.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
the battery is not capable of producing that much voltage, unless wired in series then it would produce 24V, but you know know that immediately as every computer in your truck failed at once. are you using a meter to test the battery, or the extremely unreliable and inaccurate gauge meter? also, both batteries should be replaced together, 1 new and 1 old is a recipe to destroy both. 15-16V is high, but still acceptable, some people convert their systems to run up to 16V for higher output from inverters and amplifiers. if your basing it off the cluster, it might be time for a new cluster or stepper motor, mine reads 16V at the cluster but 14 at the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the batteries it is reading 14V. I am planning on replacing the other battery soon, due to everything I have read. I wouldn't be concerned about the voltage, just seems odd that is started after 3 years and I am throwing those codes. If the codes don't throw again I will probably let it ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
along with the fact I had a battery leaking acid, had me thinking something might be making it overcharge, but I ruled out the alternator.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
At the batteries it is reading 14V. I am planning on replacing the other battery soon, due to everything I have read. I wouldn't be concerned about the voltage, just seems odd that is started after 3 years and I am throwing those codes. If the codes don't throw again I will probably let it ride.

the codes are probably due to the faulty cluster reading the wrong voltage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I decided to replace the other old battery. Everything is back to normal and the voltage is reading right at 14 volts. thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 194,000miles on it. I am having electrical problems with my amp gauge reading between 11 volts and as high as 15 volts. My headlights will dim down and back up whenever they want to. My check battery charging light came on and I had it checked out at AutoZone and they said had a bad battery. Replaced the one so far but my gauge still goes between 11 and 15 and my lights still dim. Someone told me that I have a bad ground somewhere or that my voltage regulator could be going bad. Has anyone else had this problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts