Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was watching the news the other night and they had this 93 yr old man in a wheelchair charged with the deaths of more than 28,000 people in the Holocaust. What do you guys think about this still going on.

I dont think anything in the Holocaust shoulda happened, but orders are orders and all of you understand that. Just want some feedback or rhyme or reason I kinda felt bad for the old man in a way, but in another way he did some heinous things in his younger years. I think its Germany who is still going after some 900+ that are still alive tracking them down and charging them, but then letting them go cause of old age. Another guy was 97 when he was found and charged.

I dunno Just a lil on the fence about the whole thing.........Discuss!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
everyone should be held accountable for their actions, whether they're 3 or 93. drunk or sober, ordered to or voluntary.. time doesn't erase the past

·
Registered
458 Posts
for what its worth........ If osama bin laden had been 110 years old, wouldnt you want him held accountable for 9/11.....

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that, and maybe I need to read up on the Holocaust a little more, gotta be something I am missing.....

the lack there of knowledge on my part about it I guess they are calling these all war crimes, which in turn I would say yes have at it, butttttttttt

why waste all the time and effort to just let them go. I know this can be a touchy subject. I guess just looking at the guy reminded me of some helpless old man who was just a soldier and did what he was told to do as WRONG AS IT WAS.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usama Bin laden wasnt an actual functional military........it was more of a cult, but you can fight the fact that Hitler's army was a cult too

·
I'm That Guy...
16,684 Posts
I think it's not black and white. The choices they made, position they held, etc... make a big difference IMO.

·
Registered
662 Posts
i think if these retired nazi's had any decency or remorse for there actions, they would have just put there Lugers in there mouths and pulled the trigger. But the ones that havent still need to be punished

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why have lenency for them though......They are old and did some horrible $hit I guess the point I am really getting at is why in the Hell just let them go.........just cause they cant even wipe their own ass anymore drag their names in the dirt and what let the public have at em?

·
Registered
662 Posts
there really is no punishment that is fair for them. If they are 93 years old they have already lived a full life so just killing them would not do them justice for the amount of pain they inflicted on an entire race of people. I am thinking serious torture, getting medieval on there old asses

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
i'm pretty sure they're not hunting down the privates and pfcs, they're hunting down the big dogs who were leaders of the war crimes, and got out of the country before the end of the war.

and as for why they're letting them go... i have no clue...scare tactics?? lol maybe they think if they threaten them w/ jail time, they won't kill anyone else at 94 years old...? wtf

·
Registered
818 Posts
i'm pretty sure they're not hunting down the privates and pfcs, they're hunting down the big dogs who were leaders of the war crimes, and got out of the country before the end of the war.

and as for why they're letting them go... i have no clue...scare tactics?? lol maybe they think if they threaten them w/ jail time, they won't kill anyone else at 94 years old...? wtf
:rofl

Why even bother spending all the time and money hunting them down, any one who did anything real during the holocaust is going to be around 85-90 years old so there just gonna let them go dont even bother, but I dont think the government would want to put this ppl in jail just to have to pay some one to wipe there ass, bath them and do w/e else. I believe capital punishment is required in these instances, the ones who would have been any sort of a human being would have either a) killed them selves or b) turned them selves over.

·
Registered
813 Posts
my opinion is opposite to most others here.... my grandfather captianed a battleship in hrmn and while i think the holocost was wrong, it was a time of war which we have never experienced.... fortunately, we will never see the atrocitires that men whi fought in the world wars...

comparisions to usama or other radicals arent appropriate or on point... the man was a soldier and did his job, its easy to look back and find fault....

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
well when the time comes for me to pay for my mess in iraq or afghanistan, i will take it like a man knowing inside i did what was right at the time. if it weren't right in my mind, i wouldn't have done it

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Read the book called Flyboys. The USA charges the other countries as war criminals, and at the same time says us soldiers were " only following orders, and as such can't be charged with war crimes". I'm NOT saying the the holocost or any war is or was right, but the truth of the matter is that the victor makes the rules he wants to use, and loser is the loser, and has to take what's handed to him.
As for hunting down old people, I don't know, but it's been said" live by the sword, die by the sword".

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
It is a huge gray area. If you look at the big picture, a lot of Americans could be traced back to settlers who murdered, raped, enslaved, tortured..... and the list goes on. That was all done to innocent people, not for a "master race", and they weren't ordered to do it. Our country was built in the same type of violence, but not for the same purpose, we were stealing the land from the people that were here.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be an American and I always will be, but we did some pretty nasty stuff to get where we are too. Lucky for us the entire world wasn't able to communicate the way they could when Hitler was around and get together and stop him otherwise we might not be here right now.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
It is a huge gray area. If you look at the big picture, a lot of Americans could be traced back to settlers who murdered, raped, enslaved, tortured..... and the list goes on. That was all done to innocent people, not for a "master race", and they weren't ordered to do it. Our country was built in the same type of violence, but not for the same purpose, we were stealing the land from the people that were here.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be an American and I always will be, but we did some pretty nasty stuff to get where we are too. Lucky for us the entire world wasn't able to communicate the way they could when Hitler was around and get together and stop him otherwise we might not be here right now.
extremely good point... this thread got my wheels turning... :confused:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
everyone should be held accountable for their actions, whether they're 3 or 93. drunk or sober, ordered to or voluntary.. time doesn't erase the past
The same thing could be said about american forces in the Middle east (which I fully support ) BUT...I feel orders are orders and these guys were professionals, they took the orders and did them, If it were American Military and they revolted they would be called enemies of the state and be declared traitors.

I think almost 70 yrs later there should be some statue of limitations...I'm pretty over the holocaust you don't see my ancestors that were Souix complaining constantly about the genocide and raw bullshit hand they were dealt...nope, I don't care really they should have fought harder sooner but Hindsight is 20/20.

Both of these issues are from far before my time so hence I don't care about them much...rather at all. Jews have had plenty of time to get over it..its time it happens

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my opinion is opposite to most others here.... my grandfather captianed a battleship in hrmn and while i think the holocost was wrong, it was a time of war which we have never experienced.... fortunately, we will never see the atrocitires that men whi fought in the world wars...

comparisions to usama or other radicals arent appropriate or on point... the man was a soldier and did his job, its easy to look back and find fault....
Thank you thats what I was somewhat trying to get at with this whole discussion...Im a got damn former US MARINE and I was trained to do what my superiors told me to, never was and never would be my call to go against any orders of a superior, but I like the way you said that. Seriously we havent had anything to compare to the Holocaust. I'm pretty sure they are going after anyone and everyone not just high ranking people. Nor do I condone any of their actions it was a time of either do your job or we will kill you and find someone to do it for you. Just a completely F'ed up time in history, but gents it happened. I do believe in justice but to literally hunt 900+ down just to well basically humiliate them and let them go doesnt make sense. If your gonna go through all the effort.....follow through....and finish the job dont half ass it. Yes they lived their lives out, but do you really think they lived them up? I think all of these horrible people led a life of solitude

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like many have said and I too believe in what we are doing in the middle east, but what if just saying hypothetically one day minor shit comes back on our troops. I dont believe we carry out business this way, but just a what if question.......

1 - 20 of 42 Posts