Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has mastered the manufacture of a really high quality diesel fuel, from waste cooking oil. I takes him about 3 days to make 45 gallons with all the washing cycles. He has been running it in his Cummins and VW engines. I have run it in my duramax with no issues but no more than 25% mix with regular diesel. Is there any issues with Bio I should watch out for? can I use a higher % of bio?

·
Registered
24 Posts
just had to say that is awesome..going to keep tabs on this thread..how does he do it from start to end if you don't mind me asking??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just had to say that is awesome..going to keep tabs on this thread..how does he do it from start to end if you don't mind me asking??
I do not totally understand the process completely but it involves filtering the cooking oil. then it heated will lye and methanol and the chemical process separates out the glycerin and solids (soap). The the remaining fuel is heated to remove the methanol and then is washed.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Google, there are a ton of write-ups and kits/systems you can buy to make bio.

The basics are you mix methanol and a catalyst (lye/sodium hydroxide) with the cooking oil to separate out all the goo (mostly glycerin) then you wash the fuel (homogenize it with water and wait for phase separation to occur), this removes the methanol and other contaminates then you heat it to drive out any residual moisture, pass through a finishing filter and into your truck.

That about sums it up, there are other issues with using it in the newer high pressure injection systems not designed for it, it will deteriorate rubber components in the system and can coke up the injectors and is not too good in the cold. I recommend searching the forum for other peoples experiences with bio, generally you get some quieter operation with slightly less power and mileage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been making my own Bio in the warmer months since 2008 and only problem I've had is plugged fuel filters... It actually quieted my old LB7 down alot when I had it...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You can run 100% bio when it is warm out. It will clean all the shit out of the fuel system so watch your filters. If it is processed really well you'll be fine but I would still run a 2 micron absolute filter just to be safe. My father in law has been making bio for shit 6-7 years now and running it 100% in his LB7 since he mastered it. At 150,000 miles his stock injectors are still damn close to perfect ratings. Once you get passed oh I think it is like 30-40% bio all the engines quiet down a lot and just seem to run smoother.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I know quite a few people that make their own bio, if you are making good fuel (3/27 test and clarity test for water) you should actually run BETTER on bio than regular diesel. I run 100% most of the time, I only buy about 100 gallons of regular diesel throughout the winter to blend (B20-B70 depending on temps).

·
Registered
187 Posts
anyone who wants to learn a good place to start with anything you ever want to know is Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Processing Supplies, Equipment, Processors and Information - Biodiesel Homebrewing . also water washing is a thing of the past we've got the whole process down to about 1.5-2 days basically can do a batch in a weekend and it is better quality stuff than you can find @ the pump. I'll hopefully be setting my truck and tdi to run it year round. def gotta be careful though once temps go below freezing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ducesrwld-got any pics of your setup? I'm assuming you must be drywashing your fuel?

·
Registered
187 Posts
no pics of the setup yet will be cranking out my own personal first batch hopefully this weekend have been learning by some pros for a few years now pretty much have it down pat. no dry washing either, turns out woodchips do a dam good job of pulling any glycerine/methanol out of the final filtering the soap test is not even traceable so fuel comes in at under 60 ppm....better sheet than the pumps!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had looked into that as well, but kinda limited on space for the time being. But I did read that it does about the same damn thing as the expensive dry media for a lot less money. If you get the chance, throw up some pics or send me some at [email protected] Would be interested to see someone else's ideas...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts