Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homeade "Ram Air" intake, 50* lower EGT cruising, 100* lower towing and WOT...

I just finnished up my homeade ram air on my 05' LLY and it is working great. My cruising EGT's are about 50* lower and my towing/WOT EGT's are about 100* lower! With the Edge on lvl 2 (tow) and a 5k trailer in tow I could not get above 1,100*, even on long WOT runs. I also noticed when passing at highway speeds I normaly let out a little puff of smoke right before boost jumped up, now there is no puff of smoke and boost is much quicker. It feels a little stronger while playing on the highway also.

I made it out of .020 aluminum sheet pop-rivited together, then a layer of heat shield on it. The tube is sealed to the bottom of the air box and measures 3.5"x7" till it gets to the scoop where it measures 3.5"x12.5". I did leave small drain holes to help shed water off in the rain, wont know how it does till we get some rain though. Overall I think it turned out pretty good, I may take a road trip this weekend and see if it helps my mpg any. My truck is 99% highway driven and towing so no worries about sand or mud. I'm sure I'll suck up about a million mosquitos in Lousiana though. LOL

Here are a couple pics, I tried to make it not stand out too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
awqesome how big of a tire can you go with it till it rubs

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
nice man looks good.

·
Registered
419 Posts
homemade is cool!!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awqesome how big of a tire can you go with it till it rubs
With my 325/60/18's its about 2.5" away at its closest while turning, so your tires will hit the bumper and your fender long before it can touch the intake.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Looks pretty good! Have you thought about cutting out where the foglight goes and put the scoop there? It will give a cleaner look as if there is no scoop. It will also keep it away from the tire.

·
Registered
809 Posts
can you show pics of the air box? looks good man!

·
Registered
622 Posts
nice any pics of under the hood

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I like it..... I would have cut out where the fog light would have gone though since you dont have them. Would have made it a little cleaner.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
i was actually thinking aobut making one for the summer and pulling the tow hooks and going through there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks pretty good! Have you thought about cutting out where the foglight goes and put the scoop there? It will give a cleaner look as if there is no scoop. It will also keep it away from the tire.
Its already as far away from the tire as you can get, the tire will never get closer than about 2.5" from it. With stock size tires it'll be about 4" away or more at its closest.

Yes I thought about putting it where the fog lights go, but I eventualy want to add stock fog lights. Plus the scoop I made has much more area and also draws from the air being forced off the bumper. It wouldnt take much to change it up to where it sucks from the fog light hole though. I've put a few hundred miles on it so far and it definatly has a little more get up and go around town. I guess because its sucking cool outside air instead of 170* underhood air. In traffic and around town thats about a 90* drop in IAT. On the highway with some forced cool air going into the air box I hope to see a difference in MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Looks great....Maybe you could make a few more....It seems there would be quite a few people interested....Myself included...

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
i was actually thinking aobut making one for the summer and pulling the tow hooks and going through there.
The frame is in the way Freddy:rof

Try going through the 5" round fog light hole on the 03-07 GMC's, works perfect for 5" tubing.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
The frame is in the way Freddy:rof

Try going through the 5" round fog light hole on the 03-07 GMC's, works perfect for 5" tubing.
is it really. ill have to look again. i though it wasnt. i dont want to take out my nice bright fog lights haha

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ran mine down next to the tow hook opening. I won't give up my HID Fog Lights either.

I do like the "Scoop" though...:thumbsup

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/04-5-05-lly-duramax-powertrain/43746-lly-owners-havent-updated-yet-21.html#post696600

I did a very simular intake on my old 2000' 5.3L silverado and it made a huge difference on the highway.

I have always liked the looks of the banks super scoop and wanted one. Till I saw one in person and saw how small parts of the duct were. Thats why I made my own duct and made it a constant 3.5" x 7". Its got 24.5 sq inches of flow area, and the scoop has 42 sq in. Nearly 2x the banks kit offers.

I'd say build yourself a scoop, you wont be disapointed. Unless you drive thru deep water or on dirt roads alot. My biggest worry is going to be those pesky "love bugs" that come up in swarms in Lousiana. I bet my filter gets packed with them. LOL

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really didnt think there would be this much interest in the intake so I never took pics of the tube or air box. I had to do some cutting and bending to get the huge tube in place. I shoulda took pics of the tube as I made it, it turned out really good and professional looking.

I'll try to get some pics today as soon as the drizzle stops.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice work on the cold air... Just keep in mind that it will act like a shop vac and suck up anything that comes in contact[ bugs, birds, neighbors cat].lol..

I put many of them on 5.0L Stang's back in the early 90's and a couple of them hydro locked the engine by hitting a clogged storm drain area in the rainy season. Not as likely on a truck since ya have much better ground clearance, but something to keep in mind when it's wet out or off road.

Cheers,

-K

·
Registered
686 Posts
just make sure u block it off for rainy days? lol

u can also remove ur headlight and cut sum trim out behind it and run like that for the day time runs . thats helps to

1 - 20 of 22 Posts