1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homebrew coolant flush - will this work:

- I'm going to warm up the engine
- Turn off the engine
- Disconnect the upper rad hose at the engine (see pic below)
- Connect a 1 3/4" hose from the engine to a large bucket
- Start the engine
- Going to pour new coolant into the other end of the rad hose while the hot / old coolant gets pumped into a bucket.
- I expect this to be a slow process, as the cold new coolant will shut the thermostat.

I can't see how this won't work. This is how I homebrew flush automatic transmission fluid at home.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Have fun with that hot as fire coolant when taking the upper radiator hose off! Be careful bud. These engines have to have a block drain plug so just drain that and the radiator and fill/bleed the system. Much easier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
if you dont over heat the engine while changing coolant(probably wont happen if you are pouring more in) then you wont have an issue.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
HmmMMmm

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I cant see how this is gonna end well. Its under pressure, you relize that right? You are going to end up with burns all over. Yes it would work if it was not under pressure. Best way is to drain when cool, refill with distilled water, warm, then let it cool, and drain. You can do this once or twice. Then refill with the proper mix.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
i cant see how this is gonna end well. Its under pressure, you relize that right? You are going to end up with burns all over. Yes it would work if it was not under pressure. Best way is to drain when cool, refill with distilled water, warm, then let it cool, and drain. You can do this once or twice. Then refill with the proper mix.
x2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip, I made one small change to the plan ... I hooked everything up while the engine was cold and then proceeded with the flush. It took forever for the engine to warm up even at elevated idle but it worked.

I really didn't want to drain the block and risk getting air-locked.

I'll snap a pic of the jig I made to make it happened.

It basically takes the place of one of these machines...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts