Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10 times the past 2 weeks, I keep getting the "Hood Open" message and chime even though it isn't. Seems to happen especially if I hit a bump. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a history of this on NBS GM's? I'd rather fix it myself if its simple or otherwise go in for warranty armed with knowledge.

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
there is gonna be a sensor of some sort around the latch probably it could be bad ,it just lets the ecm know if its closed or not

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,022 Posts
Most likely, you need a new hood latch, the sensor has probably gone bad. Check all the connections just to be sure though

·
Registered
168 Posts
ide just remove the sensor if thats at all possible. doesnt seem like somethin u really need.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
You learn something new everyday. I didn't know there was a hood ajar warning on these trucks.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
ide just remove the sensor if thats at all possible. doesnt seem like somethin u really need.
mmm or you could fix it the right way...because its probably a 5 minute fix....? ;)

I guarantee it would take longer to remove the switch and bypass/fool the circuit than it would be to fix this the correct way.

ben

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with gunner...start with the hood stops. They may be to low and the hood isn't closing tight enough and bounces when going over a bump. Or like gunner said...maybe to high and not closing all the way. If the hood is bouncing over a bump though i'd bet if you raised the stops it would cure your problem. If the sensor was bad i'd think it would throw the "hood open" all the time

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't know how many miles are on your truck. But, this is what you use a warranty for. If it's still under warranty, let the dealer deal with it. It doesn't appear from your signature that you have a programmer, so I'd head on over there.

The only information you need to be armed with is: "I'm getting this message and the truck is still under warranty. Fix it." Just my .02

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate everyone's input. As a rule, I hate going to the dealer. I have had enormous success over the years with getting long life and good return on my vehicles largely because I keep them away from the dealers.

No, I don't have a programmer. The existing power is plenty for me, heck I burn through the tread as it is. The only thing I would entertain a programmer for is a DPF delete, but I haven't seen anyone who could demonstrate a solid savings for cost of the delete compared to incremental fuel savings.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
I have this issue also, my alarm goes off randomly, hit a bump every once in awhile and get hood open message. Is there a fix?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the connection off, cleaned up the contacts, used some new dielectric grease and haven't had the problem again. Now that I typed this, I'm sure I'll get the warning again starting tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had this happen to my 08 about 9 months ago. "Hood Open" message while driving and the alarm would go off sometimes at night for no reason. Took it back to the dealer twice before finding out the problem, bad hood latch. Have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took mine to the dealer Friday for some burnt out clearance lights. I asked him to look at that too, He indicated it was kind of common. Sometimes a quick adjustment fixes it, sometimes the sensor needs replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts