Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded a 2007 Silverado 2500HD Classic for a 2013 Sierra 2500HD 2 weeks ago. I have 4 trailers. I hooked one of them up to the new truck yesterday.
I found that the safety chain hooks are all too small to hook onto the new hitch. All 4 trailers have small S hooks that worked fine on the old hitch.

No one near by has any larger hooks, so I am going to have to order some.
What size hooks work?
Is there another option?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
just put big enough hooks that fit the new hitch and leave em on there then you can use any of your trailers.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the side of the holes, if i go straight on my trailer hooks will not work either. I had two trailers and both have to use the side of the holes.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Reactions: ankersen557

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG, so glad I found this forum. I too just traded in my 2007 Chevy 2500 HD for a 2015 GMC 2500 Duramax and yes the hitch is so strange. It doesn't fit my trailer chains either. I have gone and bought multiple devices to attach to the box but have found nothing that works to date. Does anyone know why GMC changed this to this dysfunctional box hitch? I can't figure out how it is useful for anything. So disappointed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's a heavier capacity hitch

·
Registered
412 Posts
We have a small Lawn equipment trailer 6X10 I think it is - the chains don't fit my 3500's hitch either, I just got out my Winter recovery D rings and used those in the hitch holes, and chains on the D-rings -

These:
Amazon.com: Smittybilt 13047B 3/4" Black D-Ring: Automotive

They are rated @ 4.75 tons each (9500 lbs) - not quite 10K, but it's a lawn trailer...with a mower, weed eater and blower + small 20 gal gas tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the side of the holes, if i go straight on my trailer hooks will not work either. I had two trailers and both have to use the side of the holes.
This is what I do as well. It was a nasty surprise when I tried to get them onto the rearmost holes....and they wouldn't fit. Sideways works just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for connectors for 2015 GMC 2500HD hitch

OMG, so glad I found this forum. I too just traded in my 2007 Chevy 2500 HD for a 2015 GMC 2500 Duramax and yes the hitch is so strange. It doesn't fit my trailer chains either. I have gone and bought multiple devices to attach to the box but have found nothing that works to date. Does anyone know why GMC changed this to this dysfunctional box hitch? I can't figure out how it is useful for anything. So disappointed.
I agree. I have a 2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax and have been having a heck of a time trying to find the right connector (quick link, u-bolt, etc) to use to hook up my travel trailer. If GM is going to go to an odd shaped receiver platform they should at least provide the required connectors to hook up standard snap hooks.

Has anyone solved this problem? If so, please send a URL so I can order the connectors.

Ken

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
:thinkk GM receivers been that way since 2011. Wonder how many more years to they get it right. I can see the electrical connection for the 7 prong being a problem too. It opens from the bottom on the 2015, water gets to the contracts a lot easier.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Pfffffftt. Safety chains... LOL.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Snap hooks work well, that's what I have on my trailer.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Why not? They work on my 2011. From what I can tell, you have the same hitch that I do.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts