Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Duramax Fans!
ive been a fan myself for what seems like forever since my dad purchased his back in 05. and i think he is about to retire it and i will be taking it over. only 160,000 miles on it! plenty of life left. everything that i will do to this truck will be from my wallet. and i have big plans. i was hoping to get some feedback on upgrades on practically everything. looking to lift and put tires/wheels on it. but im really looking to have really good mpg. i have heard on EFI live, and K&N intake and all the other goodies. what will i have to do on other things if i upgrade one thing? etc.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Lift, big wheels and tires and really good mpg dont go well together in the same sentence.

Efi live is what you want for tuning.
K&n is junk. Stay away from them. Afe or s&b intakes are just about the best also your gonna need either an lbz turbo mouth piece or the more expensive (prettier) afe or s&b mouth piece. Exhaust is exhaust...its all just pipe. Just about any brand is good and will be great. A lift pump is a good idea, air dog and fass are the top brands. You wont want to go to much over a 90 hp tune or expect to build the trans sooner than later.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
And get a blocker plate for the egr. Pcv reroute is kinda optional some say do it others say dont. I personally suggest rerouting it. Its cheap and easy to do, you can buy all the parts for the reroute for less than $10 at home depot. Plenty of DIY threads on here to show you how to do just about any mod on your truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe "really good mpg" was the wrong words for it lol. im looking for better than 12 mpg because my current truck is a lifted gas guzzler. and i have thought about the air dog lift pump. is there anything else that i need to consider?
thanks for your feedback btw!

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
12+ mpg is easy to achieve. You could put some 54 inch super swampers on it and roll smoke everywhere with a nasty dirty tune from long horn fab shop and still get atleast 12mpg.

Other things to consider basically depend on what your goals for the truck are. Stock turbo is good for 530+ horse and stock injectors are good for 600ish hp.

What kind of power do you want? How reliable do you want it? And finally how much $$$$ do you want to spend. You can have your cake and eat it too as long as you have the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Money isnt a problem.
i want power to pull trailers for my job, and horse trailers on the weekend.
but at the same time i dont want to be filling up the tank every 4 days.
im new to duramax so if i say something to stupid or ask something stupid im sorry.
i need it to be a hoss but at the same time to just drive it around.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
If money isnt a problem then about $8000 should do you right.

Efi live tuning
Intake/turbo mouth piece
Exhaust
Built trans
S366 or a 4094vvt turbo
Airdog II 165 lift pump
And arp head studs just for extra insurance.

Combination for a good solid reliable 550-600 horse truck. Any thing above that power and your on borrowed time with the engine internals.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
:welcome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you Cayenne for the Welcome!

but what if i just want the truck to just drive around town and have excellent mpg? what do i differently?
whats your opinion on lift and tires as well?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts