Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Waldo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here runs hot shot or hauls campers? If so is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
A hot shot is someone who delivers packages or material across the country or even in their own area. They are kind of like Fed Ex but quicker.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
No freight terminals, no shifting from truck to truck...One truck, One driver, straight thru from point A to point B, limited stops and usually time critical for arrival.

RV hauling is a bit different...and usually pays less.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
With this economy, I doubt there is a bunch of places looking for a Hot Shot driver. Probably a lot of drivers sitting and waiting on a call from them! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Kinda sounds like a pizza delivery job.:D

·
Waldo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a job offer from a buddy to start hauling campers. $1.15 loaded mile and no empty loads coming home. Pretty much delivering campers to Texas and then hauling horse/gooseneck trailers home. He offered because I can't go to real work yet but I'm thinking I could make some cash in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Jump on that, it's a good deal....as long as you don't get screwed with sharing insurance costs.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hot shots are huge here in Grande Prairie, the market is flooded if you have any oil industry in your area at all go the shops and get on their vendor list. I use 4 different companies year round and they charge some good money but the oil company pays. I have called up to 8 trucks ranging form 1 tonnes to 40 tonne pickers and 53' highboys in one night. If there is a market and no service it should pay well but be prepared to work all hours of the night and get calls 24hrs a day if you do oil work.

Later
Phil

·
Registered
571 Posts
Lots of Hot Shot work here in PA and WV. They are drilling like mad into the Marcellus shale right now. Like Phil said though, it aint no 9-5 or 5 day a week job.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
And in your off hours, you're your own mechanic for equipment maintenance.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Lots of Hot Shot work here in PA and WV. They are drilling like mad into the Marcellus shale right now. Like Phil said though, it aint no 9-5 or 5 day a week job.
thats right, we'll keeper turnin to the right, you keep bringin the loads.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
What is this hot shot you speak of?
97% of the time it's time sensitive,not for the faint of heart!!

usually time critical for arrival.

..........x2.No comment,thanks neighbor!:drink...........from my living room at 10 Christmas Eve morning to.............Zainesville,Ohio the next day before NOON!!!!!:kneel

X............2:D:that
For the guys that think it is like a pizza delivery job: You wouldn't last 1 month!!Basically it's out of reach of most folks for the financial reasons,and other stuff..There is hot shot work but I wouldn't know where to look...:D.You're better off hauling RV's.....

·
7,336 Posts
And in your off hours, you're your own mechanic for equipment maintenance.
X............10:D I heard that,and we all know what the result of poor maintenance is,right??

·
Waldo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm not used to 9-5 anyway. More like 7-14s. I'm still thinking, but I might do it for a little while until I can get back to my real job. They still aren't letting me go back until 4th of july and I'm sick of sitting at home.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
$400 a day after fuel beats sittin' on yer can and watchin' the gray leftover winter outside. See the road, green grass/trees...sounds good to me. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
$400 a day after fuel beats sittin' on yer can and watchin' the gray leftover winter outside. See the road, green grass/trees...sounds good to me. :D
Yeah, if I was sitting at home with nothing to do, I'd jump on it just to stay busy.

I'm not giving up the salary job for it though. My cousin did it for a year or two after high school, wore out a brand new Powerstroke and nearly drove himself crazy. Some people just aren't cut out for it. When the economy is good though, there's money to be made.

·
7,336 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm not used to 9-5 anyway. More like 7-14s. I'm still thinking, but I might do it for a little while until I can get back to my real job. They still aren't letting me go back until 4th of july and I'm sick of sitting at home.
you have to find what[freight] maoves in your area and then find out who'll be in a hurry for it sooner or later and make friends..and never be late,always be on time,prompt,courteous,etc..
NEVER EVER ADMIT BEING LOST TILL YOU ARE PLUM OUTTA FUEL:say I'm somewhere between shipping and receiving boss!!:D

·
Registered
895 Posts
Haaa haa lots of good posts here I could quote but too many of them. 7-14 you mean hours a day? It is now 10:52 PM I got my first oil field call at 7:00 AM this morning and I am still at work getting custom tools made to run threw a coal seam. Should be another 5 or 6 hrs LOL then I have to wait now get this a $1500 hot shot from another location which is about 450 miles away and the guy wants this at Midnight......time sensetive I say so LOL....not gonna happen though. So now the rig is paying and burning time waiting on me and my tools and my hotshot...being as fast as possible with a smile on at 4 or 5 AM is what I am looking for in a driver tonight LOL. As for wearing out a unit one company I know has an 08 bought in September and it has 384,000 KMS that is 240,000 miles quick math that is 13333 miles a month ........WOW. To top it all off the same guy runs the same truck since it was new except for days off. That is at least 440 miles a days LMAO. No shit either.

Later
Phil

·
7,336 Posts
Ya^^When you are rolling 500 miles is the norm....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts