Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you felt your tail pipe after a drive?

I came home last night from a 20 mile drive and just happened to feel my tail pipe...Holy Crap! That fucker HOT. Not burn your hand hot but pull your hand off hot.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
Yep. With EGTs staying around 800-1000* for 20 minutes it will get hot. Even at the end. Do you run any gauges?

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Hell yeh it gets hot. Check your egts just at idle. I know just cruising it reaches around 6-700. I know some of it is lost between sensor an tailpipe but it's still pretty hot.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
ive never really tried to touch a tail pipe after running a vehicle at all common sense tells me its hot. That and i have burnt my legs on motorcycles by hittin the exhaust before

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
I would certainly do that if you are running a hot tune with the EFI. YOu can see Temps in the 1400-1600* range. Temps that high for a long time will eat a forged aluminum piston.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run the economy tune 90% of the time. 4 is my DD 100hp tune and that barely gets used.

I think I was just playing with the low speed roll ons last night. 10mph or so and lay the pedal down is WIN. whoosh and the tires break loose.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
You should see the temps on a regening LMM at the tailpipe. I saw over 780 degrees with a temp gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts