Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my older gasser trucks is in the process of dying a horrible disfiguring death of multiple contortions and horrific pain. I am looking to replace it with a 2500 or 3500 Duramax. I am trying to do this on a $10K budget so I am looking at some with higher miles. I am, though, paying particular attention to the hour meter in any truck I look at. My question for you is how many hours do you feel is too many??? I'm well aware of the LB7 injector issues, but I'm strictly looking for your opinions/experiences with how many hours these engines can go from a wear perspective. (stock condition assumed)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
the hour meters can be reset just by taken the batt's out so its not really a good way to judge on these trucks. unless it was like a well tenders truck or something like that you know just sat and ideled all day then you should be fine. even then its gonna be hard to find a 10G dmax that don't need 5G worth of work IMHO>

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
That standard we use is 1hr = about 33 high way miles...so lets say a well taken care of DMAX will be good for around 350k that’s in the ball park of the equivalent of 10100+ hours. But that’s assuming the truck was fired up and let run and not driven, the hours could be greater or less than that number in comparison to the odometer. I know when I was looking for trucks I did the same thing and found a few that the hours were way over the "average" I had found by comparing other trucks. The odometer on one only said 99K but the hours were in the 6000's :eek: In the cluster it may be resettable in some cases, but the computer should also store that, I know it does on our big trucks, If you can get a hold of a good scan tool it should read the odometer and hour meter from the computer.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i just got my 03 with 157k miles and 5000hr on it for around 11k after trade in i'd look more for miles then hrs on the truck. you can't reset those.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Miles can be off though if the cluster was replaced with a junk yard unit, which is common on these trucks, that's why I suggested the scan tool idea, the computer does not lie, it will also show you the vin which will allow you to make sure the ECM is correct for the truck.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
that is true. and the dealer if bought from one may have that scaner.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
sounds accurate^^I have 168k,and 5265 hrs.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
i paid your price range bone stock with some nice extras
capper
20"s
stocker rims

i have 185k now
had 160k when i got it

try to get it bone stock and you wont have to worry

·
Registered