Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 2500HD duramax 6.6 DB7 with 117k,what are some ways to increase mpg? Other than towing my horses I run empty and mostly highway miles. I have changed all oils,filters and lubricants including both axles and transmission and sill can't get above 17 mpg. I know one gentlemen who claims he getting 26 with the same engine, is this possible? He did mention he had a chip installed but did not elaborate. So,what can I do to up the mpg with out an arm or leg involved? Thanks

·
Registered
915 Posts
Your best bet for improved fuel econ is a programer. A exhaust would help also but a programer will give you the best bag for your buck. I recomend PPE, Quadzilla, edge or Efi Live if you have the money. You could also try running a fuel additive to help clean dirty injectors Etc.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
Put a turbo back exhaust, and programmer on it and you will see an increase in mpg if and only if you stay off they skinny pedal. The thing about these improvements is that they do allow for better fuel economy, on the flip side however, they do allow more more fuel consumption.:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not tryin to hijack the thread but if I were looking for a programmer..solely for the purpose of increased MPG...what would be the most bang for my buck so to speak?

Yes, I know EFI live is the greatest thing since sliced bread but its also expensive.

PPE is also a little on the expensive side compared to some other programmers.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Not tryin to hijack the thread but if I were looking for a programmer..solely for the purpose of increased MPG...what would be the most bang for my buck so to speak?

Yes, I know EFI live is the greatest thing since sliced bread but its also expensive.

PPE is also a little on the expensive side compared to some other programmers.
quadzilla.......

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Be aware, that most programmers will affect the DIC mileage reading and fuel used. You will need to hand caculate to check mileage. PPE is a good Plug and play programmer, but it is more expensive.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have a Quad S2 and was wondering if the economy tune was best for mileage or one of the higher tunes? I also don't mean to but in here but since everyone was on the topic....figured I would ask for opinions.

·
Registered
2006 Chevy 2500HD CCSB LBZ
2,192 Posts
110hp is better then the econ. tune for mpg. (if you take it easy) Also, correct tire inflation will improve MPG's

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Not trying to be a D*ck, but the easiest way to achieve MPG's is to slow down:D

I can get 22mpg at 68mph, but at 75 she is down to around 19mpg. The faster I go the faster the fuel gauge goes DOWN:drink

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
Basically... build it up as if you were building for power and stay light on the throttle. That'll get you the best mileage. Never trust your DIC. It's always gonna be wrong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but the question goes along with the content discussed. I am looking at an 04 with edge, 5" exhaust cat back i think, 4" lift 305 pro comps, afe intake and he syas he is only getting 16MPG? Not sure he is hand calculating though? What could be wrong other than not staying off the skinney pedal. I drove the truck and it runs excellent or so it feels?

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
A lift will kill MPG like no other.

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
^^^ x2 ^^^^

Lifting and putting bigger tires makes your gear ration less effective, and your truck has to work harder to turn the wheels.

16mpg isn't bad at all. I average 17.5mpg's (hand calculated)... as long as I stay under 70mph... hit I-44 at the Oklahoma/Missouri line where the speed limit goes up to 75mph... and I drop to 16 mpg's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Move your seat back a little farther. Im serious this helped me stay off the gas a little more.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I ran 22.3 MPG(hand calculated)quad on 135,17inch wheels 285 70 tires

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.