Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

turned on the big tune and took off pedal down on the way home today, saw white smoke behind the truck from 45-55 between 2 gears. figured i just broke em loose it is a big tune i felt them break loose( or else my tranny slipping... not sure :D)

so after the white clouds i get a low coolant light, so i coast home about a mile downhill. stop and all the coolant is on the ground, no pressure in hose and find the hose blown off.

ordered a new yellow part from napa and got a new section of hose. im guessing the yellow piece had a nipple and broke off inside the hose from looking at the inside of the hose.

so how do i get that yellow thing off (idk what its called - "coolant heater firewall connector thingy?" idk...

and why did it blow off?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
The connector broke is why its off. They make a removal tool for those but in a pinch you can cut the remaining part from the heater core tube, be careful not to cut to deep and into the aluminum line. Also remove the rest of the fitting from the heater hose before trying to reinstall the hose on the new connector. You can pick up a new connector at any local parts store.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
....guessing the yellow piece had a nipple and broke off inside the hose from looking at the inside of the hose.
Yes. It's a push-on quick connect fitting.

so how do i get that yellow thing off (idk what its called - "coolant heater firewall connector thingy?" idk...
With an AC, Fuel & Trans Line Disconnect tool. It's split to go around the tubing at the firewall and you push it in to the fitting (pull it back towards you) to release.

and why did it blow off?
Why? They split and crack with age...common. So common, most all parts stores stock 'em. Your NAPA didn't have it in stock? But to shear and blow completely off isn't. Nothing in your signature for truck info. Since we're in the LB7 forum, is yours a CA emissions truck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem happened with my lb7, once i removed the old fitting i had trouble pushing the new one on so i put a little bit of lubricant on the inside of the fitting and it popped right on.

Also as you can see in your picture there are two color fittings black on the left and yellow on the right. I dont believe there's a diffierence? but there was a rather drastic difference in the price. The yellow was much more expensive so i replaced it with a black one from Napa for $7

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Just so you know...you need new engine mounts.

That is why the hose ripped off. The driver side mount seperates and let's the motor twist pulling on the coolant line. Mine ripped off too. I eliminated the stupid plastic pieces. Just got longer heater hose and ran the directly to the aluminum heater core lines.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same problem happened with my lb7, once i removed the old fitting i had trouble pushing the new one on so i put a little bit of lubricant on the inside of the fitting and it popped right on.

Also as you can see in your picture there are two color fittings black on the left and yellow on the right. I dont believe there's a diffierence? but there was a rather drastic difference in the price. The yellow was much more expensive so i replaced it with a black one from Napa for $7
yes- the new one is black i just got it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got everything back on i had to put a socket over the nipple and hit it with a hammer to get it tight it was a pain to get on.

still not sure its all the way on but i cant pull it off...

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Whatever you do don't use te Dorman aftermarket... They have a flaw in the design and well it didn't last long in my truck...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts