Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on getting an anti-sway hitch for towing my 24" enclosed. How hard is it to setup initially? Do you just install then tighten it down til truck and trailer are level? Or is there more to it than that?
Also is it worth putting in airbags also? Im loading up my wifes car and everything we own, and going to be heading all the way across the states. :) After that will prolly only be used to haul within a couple hours of home.
Thanks

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just set-up a w/d hitch for my brother on his 1/2-ton so he could borrow my camp trailer. (The trailer isn't so heavy that I feel I need it when towing with my 2500HD.)

The initial set-up is a little time-consuming and you need some big wrenches. I think all-said it took 35 to 45 minutes initially. Hooking-up the trailer adds a little time, but it's only a couple minutes. The instructions that came with mine are to lower the trailer onto the ball and latch the coupler, then using the tongue jack on the trailer, lift the rear-end of the truck back to unladen ride height, hook the chains onto the saddles, flip the lever, then retract the tongue-jack. The equalizer bars should be parallel to the trailer frame, yet tight-enough to adequately distribute the weight. The only special tool needed is the leverage-bar for flipping the chain/saddle lever.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
peddler hit it on the head.

I have one on my work truck to haul a bobcat, and LOVE it.

I just wish they would replace this stupid ford f-350 that they gave me to haul it with... :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts