Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does anyone know what your trans temp should run at.. i was in 4wd on the beach this past weekend and it was runing at like 240.. is that normal??

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That is pretty hot, Your tranny shouldn't go above 200-210. When the tranny temps start to rise, put the truck in tow/haul and the temps should come down since the torque converter is locked. Have you checked your fluid to see if it smells burnt or is really dark? BTW, Welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man.. yea i look at the fluid and it look a little dark so im going to change it and the filter... do u think i should get a bigger pan for it.. so it will run cooler or do u have any other idea for me??

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Bigger pan, like the Mag hytec is a great idea. Also, as a bonus, the Mags are pretty heavy built units, and will help strengthen the transmission case a bit.

Definently go with a synthetic trans fluid like the Amsoil Torque Drive, which is a much more cost effective version of the Allison Trans Synd.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
another thing that you might want to look into when you get the money is one of MikeL's tranny coolers. He is a member on this site. I have heard good things about it too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do u know a good place i can get a bigger pan at... and when i do a chip on my truck that will halp out right??

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
When you chip a truck, you will help it get hotter. Go to some of our supporting vendors. I know that they have some good deals on parts for our trucks. they are the first line on the forums homepage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
does anyone know what your trans temp should run at.. i was in 4wd on the beach this past weekend and it was runing at like 240.. is that normal??
on the beach, you need a TOC that has fans on it. An oil cooler is only as good as the air flow across it. The beach has claimed many a Ford transmission for this reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys for all ur help..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts