Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long awaited new wheels are supposed to be in next week and the wife is already planning a trip with the 5ver. My neighbor says we should wait till we have several thousand miles on the truck before using it to tow. Is this the case? The 5ver gross weight is less than 7K fully loaded.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, my theory has always been to work it hard right from the start. I would only make sure that you have about 500-1000 miles on the truck before starting to tow. There are some guys that have towed with their's from day one with no problems. I would just change the rear diff fluid after you get back from your trip....but that is just me. I would however check the fluid level before leaving since most of the rear diffs have been short of fluid from the dealership.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
same here,let er rip..

·
Registered
164 Posts
bought mine a few days ago,as soon as I got home, I hooked to my enclosed landscaping trailer and mashed the go pedal! I think its good for a diesel to be worked early as possible! Get her good and hot, that will help seat the rings!!! let her rip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Owners Manual Towing Recommendations

The new truck finally arrived and we have been literally thumbing through the numerous manuals, including the 1 1/2 inch thick "Silverado" primary manual. For what its worth, the time before towing is suggested to be 500 miles, and then for the 1st 500 towing miles not to exceeded 50 mph.
The dealer also menentioned no limitations on how soon to tow (we definitely indicated this is what the truck is for) nor did they note that the max speed was suggested to be below 50 mph for the first 500 miles. Well play it safe, and try to adhere to these "suggestions" although we have already gone well over 50 mph just getting it home. Ever try to drive 50 on I-680/80? More fingers and glances than I care to think about.
Bill

·
Registered
262 Posts
towing is good on the motor. just make sure that you alternate the rpm do not let it stay at a constant rpm.. dont know why that is just what everybody tells me

·
Registered
32 Posts
well i dont care what chevy says every farm tractor,piece of excavating and two road tractors ive ever owned they all said break em in hard. work the crap out of them from the start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts