Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LML is almost 5 years old. I accidentally left the truck key on ACC position for about 16 hours (we were using the wifi). This morning the batteries were flat (4.9V). I was quite surprised that they would go down that fast just for ACC? What do you think?

BTW, I have an 'automatic' 6V/12V charger. It kept thinking it was charging a 6V battery and would cut out. I took a 12V battery out of my RV and hooked it up with jumper cables. That was enough to convince the charger to go into 12V charge mode. DOH!

I took the truck out for a drive and kept the RPMs up. It was fine but I'll check the batteries in a little while to see if they drop off a lot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should add that the truck is very low mileage for its age (~25K miles) and has never been run in very cold weather (I'm a snowbird).

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
My LML is almost 5 years old. I accidentally left the truck key on ACC position for about 16 hours (we were using the wifi). This morning the batteries were flat (4.9V). I was quite surprised that they would go down that fast just for ACC? What do you think?

BTW, I have an 'automatic' 6V/12V charger. It kept thinking it was charging a 6V battery and would cut out. I took a 12V battery out of my RV and hooked it up with jumper cables. That was enough to convince the charger to go into 12V charge mode. DOH!

I took the truck out for a drive and kept the RPMs up. It was fine but I'll check the batteries in a little while to see if they drop off a lot.
16 hours running accessory? im surprised they werent below 1v. you will need to nurse them back up past 6V, your charger things its charging a 6V battery so its stopping when it reaches full charge for a 6V, you could get a charger that only charges 12V, or you could jump them in the truck to flash a surface charge on them that will let the charger see enough voltage to start charging. batteries can last anywhere from a year to a 10+ depending on factors like temperature, cleanliness, conditions charging habits, driving habits ect. my red tops are 8 years old and still test 200 CCA over spec cold and they have been deep cycled multiple times. granted lead acids recover more poorly from a deep cycle then AGM batteries, you should be able to nurse them back up, or replace them since they are in the age where people typically start looking at new ones for a safety concern. you can also disconnect 1 and see if you can crank the truck off just 1, if you need both to crank the truck then they are shot. also, theres not that many actual manufacturers of batteries, so the "brand" is not as important as a lot of people think. interstate batteries are a good price, with a good warranty and last a long time from what most people have said. personally i like the AGM because they are service free, no leak and can be mounted sideways if you were so inclined.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just replaced a set of interstates from 2004, one of them was bad. My truck would start down to about 10-15 degrees without being plugged in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yea sounds like you werent getting enough CCA, mine will start at -5 unplugged, just barely.
Ya it starts way better now, before it was like one of the jackass cold start videos on youtube. It almost seems like the whole truck runs better now.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Ya it starts way better now, before it was like one of the jackass cold start videos on youtube. It almost seems like the whole truck runs better now.
thats not surprising, our trucks have terrible grounds and the whole electrical system was designed by a inbred monkey. any decrease in electrical power will cause issues on these trucks, thats why clean ground and tight cables are so important, and fix a lot of the issues posted on here.

·
Premium Member
26,481 Posts
How long do they last?

It depends on your climate.

Heat is a much greater batt killer than living up north. Y'all may see 5-10 years up there. Come down this way though, and anything older than 2 years is on borrowed time.

Reactions: DURAMAXD219

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Hot climate here. I like to replace my batts every 3-4 yrs.

·
Premium Member
11,380 Posts
My NAPA legends got replaced at 3 years. they still cranked it over just not fast enough.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Replaced stock delco batteries last summer. 9 years old and have seen super hot to super cold Temps. Replaced because I could go a day without running the truck because the batteries were dead. Only noticed an issue when i stopped using my truck every day lol. I chucked a new set of delco batteries in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
thats not surprising, our trucks have terrible grounds and the whole electrical system was designed by a inbred monkey. any decrease in electrical power will cause issues on these trucks, thats why clean ground and tight cables are so important, and fix a lot of the issues posted on here.
I guess I didn't realize how finicky our electrical systems are, I'm definatly going to inspect and clean the contacts.

·
Street Sleeper
616 Posts
Any opinions on the solar trickle chargers to help keep the batteries in working order longer? I'm replacing mine almost annually, AC Delco, Interstate, Duralast...debating on either XS or odessy next time to try and break this trend unless I can find a way to make things better.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Once you run a battery down, it will be harder to keep it charged and will shorten battery life. I use a Battery Minder (not Battery Tender) to keep my batts charged during extended times of non-use. The Battery Tender periodically pulses the battery to help reverse sulphate buildup on the plates so batteries will last longer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just for giggles, I thought I'd update you. It's now 5 years later and I still have the original batteries in my LML. They're almost 10 years old. Truck has been in pandemic mode (sitting for many weeks) so today I decided to see if it would start. Temperature was up to almost -5C. It was slow but started after a couple of cranks. WooHoo! Dash voltmeter stayed at 9V longer than usual and then I got "Service Battery Charging System" on the DIC. Maybe 30 seconds later, the volt meter came up to 14 but the battery idiot light stayed on. the batteries read 14.6 with DVM when the engine was running and dropped to 12.4 when stopped. I have my charger on them now and after a few hours I'll start it again and let it come up to temperature (I'm not going to drive it so it'll have to idle for half an hour). I know the air intake and glow plugs draw a lot of power when it's cold. When spring comes I take it out for a drive - maybe to somewhere that tests batteries. Having said that, I might as well replace these as they don't owe me anything.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Any opinions on the solar trickle chargers to help keep the batteries in working order longer? I'm replacing mine almost annually, AC Delco, Interstate, Duralast...debating on either XS or odessy next time to try and break this trend unless I can find a way to make things better.
There is no good reason your batteries last only a year. Something is wrong with your truck, likely parasitic draw that draws your batteries down. That needs 1st priority, then add the trickle charger.

Batteries are getting more expensive every year and right now it is very difficult to buy good batteries at places like Costco, Sams club, etc. No one has them in stock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.